Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys... i've been itchin to buy either a 22 magnum... or a 17 hmr....

here is what i know....1.17 hmr ammo is a bit more $$$ 2. the 17 hmr is a flatter shooter...3. the magnum hits harder... but i've seen pics of a squirl that has a hole the size of a quarter in it's side and hit by a 17 hmr at over 200 yards....
other than that... i'm clueless... can yall help me....

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Ammo prices are about the same anymore. The Remington Premier mag ammo is $10 a box most everywhere. The HMR is more accurate in my rifles compared to my Mag rifles but the Mag will hit harder at longer distances.

I would buy a Mag first then get a HMR sometime later. You can't live with just one can you?

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I would do the the opposite of AK and buy the HMR first. You wont want a 22 mag after you shoot the HMR. IMO. As far as cost goes, there is really no difference in price of guns or ammo since quality ammo for a 22 mag is really almost indentical in price. I can buy HMR ammo locally for 8.99.
BUt guess what? 22mag ammo I use is in the 9.00 dollar range (remington premier 33gr v-max).

The best case is buy them both, they both have their uses alot of people get a 10/22 mag and get a 17 barrel. Check out the H&R website you can buy any rimfire and fit and barrel to them 22lr,17m2,22mag,17hmr.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
And if you read I said its good to have both. I use the 22mag if I want to get sloppy groups, prop open a door, use as a walking stick, or sometimes it doubles as a golf club! :p

just joking(no I'm not!)

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
rifleman,

it is true i was doing a cd lr to mag conversion, and yes my marlin shoots about 1 inch groups.

but now my conversion took a turn, its gonna be a 17hmr period.

I just got a savage 93r17bvss and it only took shooting it a few times to make me realize that for me it is the best caliber rimfire I have ever shot.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I know you werent beating me up! I was just messing around!

I just bought the 17Hmr and took it to the range. I am telling you that you gotta try a 17!

I was shooting next to some guys who were shooting a couple of 10/22's in mag and lr and they were totally impressed as well.

Its just nice to shoot a rifle that you don't have to do expensive mods to shoot great.

I can't vouch for hunting performance, only shot at some water jugs. It will bust open a gallon milk jug at 100 yards with a lound thwack.

straight out of the box it was shooting .75 or less at 100 yrds.

I'm not trying to start a 17 vs 22mag war im just saying get out there and try it. It is a fun caliber to shoot.

I'm still a maggit but just barely!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I own both a 17HMR and a .22 mag.
I sure have no desire yet to get rid of either.
They both shoot decent ,or I would not have bought them in the first place.
I like the ability of shooting them side by side and seeing for myself there strength's and weaknesses.
I have hunted small game with my .22 mag for about 15 year's.
The 17 HMR , I have only had sence late May this year.
I do alot of shooting but am primarily a hunter.
I can see myself leaveing the HMR home on windy day's and useing the mag then. IMHO..
Jed..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
made up my mind...

well i just purchased a marlin 925m .22 mag for $159 at wallyworld...and already shot about 150 rounds thru it..of varius brands...cci maxi-pads and the +v i also shot some winchester sepremes... which i've found that it's a little harder hitting than the +v's ... but all in all... i can't complain....coming from a 10/22 owner.. it's a WAY big imrpovement over the 22 lr... and i was easily getting all my shots with in a 3 in circle at 100yds... good enough for me... i don't plan to shoot a squirl at 200+ yards away...well i've seen it done with a 17 hmr... it was messy... but thats what my .223 is for....thanx all for your input

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
My 15 year old 77/22 RM Standard ,take's the primer's out of .223 rem cases with only a 2-7 leupold veri-X II rimfire scope on it at 100 yard's.
It's a well proven hunting rig for sure.
To keep thing's fair , I installed a new Leupold 3-9 x 33 AO EFR on the .22 mag ,and moved my old Leupold 4-12 AO Veri-X II to my 17 HMR.
When I have posted pic's of it,, people raised way too much flack about it..
The point is...
My 77/17 Target has a pretty tough row to hoe comeing in after that..
But I would be a fool to not give it an honest shot..
:AR15firin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.