Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nashville~ I usually head toward Bumpus Mills to hunt. I think the FMJ will make less of a mess of the squirrels. I'll have to be carefull with the overpenetration factor though. Vmax shoot the best in my NEF but I keep different styles in my ammo box~same for my 22LR.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Haven't seen the FMJ's around this neck of the woods. Is it any less expensive since they do not have the cost of the V-Max bullets included? I hate spending so much on V-Max's on paper if the FMJ's are accurate as well. Any accuracy reports on the FMJ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think to clarify the Rem. Accu tip and Win. Silver tip is the V-max hornady bullet. So 5 of the group have the same Hornady 17 gr. V-max bullet with a different colored tip. Red, Black, Gold, Silver, Green, Brown, Purple, Pink? Kinda like fishing lures? Marketing is a great thing isn't it. I'm going to the range with all the V-Max ammos and a variety of guns to do some tests when I get some time. Dale

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll try and give a report on the hornady 20gr XTP's as pertaining to tree rats and penatration tomorrow.
Seems these shoot best in my 917 at this point
I have run right at 500 rnds thru it so far, at first it liked the 17gr V-max, but now it seems to like the 20gr XTP's better

·
Registered
69 Posts
20 gr XTP's

Well I shot 2 skirls this monring with the Hornady 20gr XTP's If you use em you better still make head shots with them.
Not as much damage as the V-max would do but still significant
Both were shot reeaall close (20 ft), both were facing me (looked like bears thru my 6x24 scope),and the bullits were complete passthrus ,hit in the chest-went all the way thru the body exiting at the rear end of the skirls :D so I didnt recover a slug but the wound channel was enormous, exit hole was about 3/4 inch

Hope to have another report on a few with a bit of distance between them and the muzzle of "THE STINGER" next time though.

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
yea, MSS has been on back-order for about two months, as i have been waiting for some. finally cancelled my whole order. now it seems that those fmj's will be here on
the 10th of this month ?? will wait and see and place a new order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still waiting...

for these to hit the shelves, and for my "free :rolleyes: "CCI varmint T-shirt. :D
I took a crow out of a tree @~50+ yds with the Gamepoints Father's Day:
golfball-sized hole & through a wing. No blood~weird? Maybe it got vaporized :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Went by Cabelas in Dundee, MI on the 21st. They did not have the FMJ. I live in Georgia, so I don't get there often. CCI cust serv told me to check out Midsouth on the net I think, I'd have to recheck my email. I just want to try a box to compare accuracy, as I don't hunt. I wish Cabela's would lower their bulk price.... still $79 plus shipping for 10 boxes. The plastic box is okay, but I don't need anymore storage like that.

Cap'n Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Where do you guys buy all of your ammo?

Most of mine is done at Bass Pro and Wally World. Both of the two dont have very many choices, and wal-mart is usually sold out or something. All I can get is Remington VMax, Federal VMax, and CCI TNT. Occasionally Hornandy.

Do you guys order most of yours or what?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.