Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a lite weight hm2 barrel and thinking about buying the Aluma Lite barrel. Does anyone have this barrel and are you satisfied with it? Also what is the best way to modify the gun for the hm2 - the Eabco bolt or the mag bolt and spring, or something else? Thanks, Lakes.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I was out shooting with cmjr last weekend. He had a .17hm2 set up from Boyds (Shaw barrel and EABCO bolt handle). It functioned very nicely. The action cycled well.

I'm doing a .17hm2 conversion now. I'm using the EABCO bolt handle and a VQ THM (very light) barrel. The barrel is on order, so I'm waiting for the big brown truck to deliver it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
HM2 conversion suggestions

I can't comment on the Alumalite barrel but did a recent conversion to HM2 with a VQ barrel and VQ heavy HM2 bolt. I'm not a fan of the Eabco bolt handle due to the "kludgy" look. If you get the VQ bolt, be advised to keep in the original Ruger metal recoil stop pin. The heavy bolt slamming against a synthetic pin will allow too much give and start a dent in the back of the ejection port. I filed out a small groove and reinstalled the original pin and have had no problems with my VQ setup whatsoever. Clean ejections, no swollen or burst cases, and no stovepipes. The only problem I've encountered on the range is that all of my friends want to shoot it.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
The mag bolt is not available as of yet. VQ makes a weighted bolt but the cheapest price I have seen on them is $190. The Eabco handle works just as well and is only about $50. It is ususally included with the barrel purchase.

I don't know much about the Alumilite barrel but VQ makes an excellent barrel and Whistle Pigs arn't too shabby neither for the price. Magnum Reasearch also makes a 17hm2 but they are VERY pricey. I recently ordered an ER shaw SS spiral fluted barrel I don't know how well they shoot yet......... but they are beautiful IMHO (one of a kind) It hasn't arrived yet.................that reminds me, I need to call and check up on it. I ordered it in a special combo deal from Boyds gunstocks. I sold the stock since I had no use for it, but it was a pretty good deal. ANY color combo laminate and a SS spiral fluted 20" 17hm2 barrel for around $300.........even cheaper if you dont want the flutes or SS........Not a bad deal IMHO. I sold the stock for half the price and kept the included bolt handle and barrel for myself (if it ever gets here) The ER Shaw is probably heavier than what you are looking for though, but man are they purdy.

good luck with your MH2
swampf0x

·
Registered
55 Posts
swampfox, i have a 10/22 full auto norrell. would your weighted bolt handle function with a .22 LR ? i want to slow my rate down from 1100 per min. if you want to play professor... you could save me $50. thank you, ottosear!!

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
From what I have seen

Blazer037's VQ THM short 16.25" barrel shoots out groups under .400"@50 virtually all of the time, seemingly effortlessly. I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on its capabilities for the money, and he has also been able to get it work well either with, or without a heavy handle. I think he sold his handle with his EABCO barrel, and has been running alternate control methods, like heavy springs and such.
My experiences are that the shorter barrel can be more user friendly in a blowback action, and my home-made barrel shoots nicely with no added weight either, with a .216"@50 still holding as I haven't had time to shoot lately. I tried an unported 20" barrel with no weight, and its "Not the way to go".
If I had to use weight, I'd use the VQ heavy bolt.
You can get a heavy VQ bolt and a Carbon THM barrel in a kit form for 375 bucks from one of the forum sponsors.
The above information/recomendations are wrong, you would never want to use the factory metal bolt stop pin with the HM2, the charging handle on a VQ bolt hits the rear of the ejection port on a factory receiver because the handle is placed about a 1/4" rearward of a factory charging handle, just file the back of the port about a sparkplug gap or so's worth of material, and you're fine. :t

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's good to know....I am just about to order that HM2 conversion barrel/bolt set from that particular RimfireCentral sponsor.

I am a not too comfortable with throwing the extra bolt weight into the action by means of a bolt "handle" replacement. One of the projects I am thinking about is coming up with a means to modify a factory bolt to add mass to it.

Does anyone know what the VQ HM2 bolt weighs? What is the bolt handle weight difference between the conversion HM2 bolt handle and the stock bolt handle?

Akspudus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.