Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Depends

Angle of approach to the water would be a factor, but for all intents and purposes, just consider them to skip across water about the same, the 17 will bounce much further, and for longer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
good question :)

water i have no idea on tho i would suspect the bullet would breakup. do some testing and see for yourself.

i have been looking at getting an hm2 exspecially after i bounced a 22lr subsonic round up over my neighbors house some 400 meters away (fired into the ground at right angles to the house)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Slow, heavy, solid = high ricochet potential. Fast, light, prefrag = low ricochet potential. You literally don't have to worry about the 17M2 ricocheting off of a tree or ground, unless its maybe >300yds downrange and slow enough not to fragment. I don't know about water, but I would assume the 17M2 would break up at some angles the 22lr would skip on. Not saying the 17 wouldn't skip at all, just that it would probably take a more shallow angle than 22lr.

·
Registered
288 Posts
.17 M2 does ricochete!

The .17 gr V-Max at M2 velocities ricochetes off the ground with high frequency. I rarely hear the little pill skip at HMR velocities but it is common to hear it singing through the air at M2 velocities when shooting rodents on flat ground. Not near as bad as a .22 but happens often enough that for safety's sake don't assume it won't skip and hurt someone 1/2 mile away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bill D. said:
The .17 gr V-Max at M2 velocities ricochetes off the ground with high frequency. I rarely hear the little pill skip at HMR velocities but it is common to hear it singing through the air at M2 velocities when shooting rodents on flat ground. Not near as bad as a .22 but happens often enough that for safety's sake don't assume it won't skip and hurt someone 1/2 mile away.
OK well then, my bad. Thanks for your input. I was relying on what I knew about the 17hmr. How far were you shooting? If it was say 100yds then that would mean the 17hmr could ricochet at around 200yds. Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
thx bill d :)

anyone had an HM2 bounce (not ricochete) ? i do mean bounce as in hit a tree/rock and come back at you?

22lr's are bad enough but i'm not to keen if HM2 are the same. i regularly get bullets bounceing and flying past my head <joy>.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Bounce

I was recently shooting softball sized basalt rocks with HM2 at about 75 yards. I could crack the rocks open, and the bullets shattered into nothing="There was nothing left to bounce around, the largest piece was a small fragment of either copper or lead" (Soft dirt background, cardboard front panel, so I could "catch all fragments" so I could see what was really happening).= no bounce problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.