Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
high velocity vs. standard velocity

ok, why do we really have different velocities? is one more accurate than another at 50 yds?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Man, that's a handful of a question to answer

I'll give it a go and perhaps some of the more knowledgable rimfire shooters will come to my rescue. :)

The most accurate ammunition is going to be match grade. My limited research indicates that all match stuff is subsonic, if only by a few fps...still, it's less than the speed of sound. The ammo labled "subsonic" is what......another 70 to 100 fps slower?

Now whether this is because, if it were started slightly faster than the speed of sound, it would fall below the sound barrier while in flight to a 50 yard target, or not, I don't know. If it would, then that would be a bad thing. As bullets don't take too kindly to being kicked in the butt as they become subsonic, it disrupts their flight path. :) It could also be that little 22 rimfire projectiles are at their natural best accuracy, when started out at about 1080 fps.....or slightly less.

Why do we have different speed bullets? Well, for different uses. Match ammunition's sole intended design, is to produce the highest level of accuracy possible and that has been found to be at slightly less than the speed of sound. High Velocity is primarly for hunting, where minute of squirrel head is perfectly fine accuracy. Not to mention that the marketing folks know that some will grab a box off the shelves just because it says it is super fast.

Then there are the slower, and really slow ones. They find a use in indoor shooting and/or to fill the need of an extremely quiet round.

That's my take on it all.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Swede's got it right. But there's one more thing that he didn't mention about why subsonic ammo is more accurate: It is less affected by the wind. By the way, not all match ammo is subsonic. Federal made some top notch match ammo a few years ago that was rated at around 1150fps, and Eley has just come out with its EPS SuperSonic at around the same speed. The new Eley is doing very well. So much for theory.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm wondering, does bullet weight and design fit into the equation ? Most all target ammo is 40 gr. rn ... Is the optimum bullet weight 40 gr. and configuration round nose ?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Round Nose Bullets

McBendy_Elbow,

One must remember that the .22LR cartridge is basically a subsonic round, and therefore a round nose bullet is probably the most appropriate profile, the same as one sees in most revolver ammunition*, also subsonic, like the .38 Spl. and .45 Colt. Other bullet designs have been added to the .22LR spectrum of bullet types with the advent of Hyper Velocity ammunition like the Stinger, Viper, and Yellow jacket.
[ * Yes, there are 'other' bullet types like wadcutters, to cut clean holes in targets, semi-wadcutters, jacketed soft points, flat points, etc..... :D ]

Pointed bullets [spitzer] come into the equation when the velocities become supersonic to better handle the shock wave which precedes the bullet. [see image]

Shadowgraph of a .308 Winchester FMJ Bullet

For a very detailed discussion of bullets in flight, I would suggest you visit How do bullets fly?

I hope this helps....! ! :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
McBendy_Elbow said:
I'm wondering, does bullet weight and design fit into the equation ? Most all target ammo is 40 gr. rn ... Is the optimum bullet weight 40 gr. and configuration round nose ?
Elbow, If you're wanting to try something heavier than 40gr, but will still be stabilized in a "normal" barrel, Lapua makes "Scoremax", a 48gr RN. Plus the Aguila SSS, but some barrels will not stabilize that LONG 60gr bullet (Shoots OK from my AMT, TUMBLES from my CZ)
Paul

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I referred to "round nose", was referring to just that and wondered if any manufacturer other than Eley had experiented with an abbreviated round nose and found it to be more accurate ... I like the Eley bullet and the case head of Federal ultra match and the quality control of both mfg's !

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the great info guys!! :)

this brings me to the next group of questions.. if subsonic is better and more stable, and less affected by wind that seems the way to go. :t

I'm going to pick up some Aguila subsonic for my 10/22 that likes the SE so well and try that.

but the real reason that this all started is that we shoot "barnyard matches" and the ammo must be made in the US, what are my options for this? also, it must be less than 3 bucks for a box of 50 rounds. Any ideas/experience with this typ of limitations?

thanks..

John

·
Registered
994 Posts
but the real reason that this all started is that we shoot "barnyard matches" and the ammo must be made in the US, what are my options for this? also, it must be less than 3 bucks for a box of 50 rounds. Any ideas/experience with this typ of limitations?
I assume "made in the US" would allow anything from CCI, Federal, Remington, or Winchester and the $3/box limit allows most of their offerings. You really have to go try everything you can find that meets that criteria but I've found that the Win PowerPoint work very well for me. Lots of people like the CCI Mini-Mags and the new CCI Subsonic HPs seem to be doing well for many too.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I'd still like to see some arguments about the conclusions of higher speed bullets reacting bad in the wind and why.

Not necessarily disputing it, just trying to understand it.

Ron

·
Registered
37 Posts
CCI Std Velocity

They work great for me from my Winchester 69, the Mini-Mag solid points are very accurate in my click-clack (Model 60). Unfortunately if I don't shoot Mini-Mags (either HP or solid) it jams like a *******. Thankfully it shoots well with the Minis.

R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.