Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

High Cap Mag Tuning

320 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Ben B.
I've got some 30 round steel lip magazines that I purchased from Sportsman's Guide. They are not reliable and about 98% of the failure to feeds are from the magazine tilting, and the round striking above the chamber opening, or shaving a good portion of the bullet off. When comparing these mags to factory box mags, they are appear smaller (in length compared to magwell) , causing the tilting of the mag.

Has anyone attempted tuning these mags to get them tilt at the correct angle (zero)? I'm going to try this weekend but was wondering what to use? Maybe epoxy plastic pieces to the appropriate side and file as needed?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
RJ
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
733 Posts
What kind?

There was some talk about there the new-release (just after the AWB sunset) of the BC (Butler Creek) mags having some issues - as there were reports the new owner (Michaels?) had to reverse engineer the mags 'cause the original molds were lost. Like I said, "some talk".

I believe those mags are warranted and you may find the company will replace them for free - it's worth a shot.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
I have 2 older BC Steel Lips mags, that were unused for a long time. One of them caused feeding jams often, which was due to forward-backward play in the mag. The other Steel Lips sometimes seemed to have that problem, if I bumped it on something while shooting. My jams were due to the rounds coming in too shallow, and jamming into the breech below the chamber.

But I fixed both, by applying 2 dots of JB Weld to the backside of the magazines, where they touch the metal parts of the mag well. I put on a bit more than looked necessary, let it dry, and filed down to fit. The blobs of JB Weld press the backside of the mag forward and keep it at the proper angle. They work about 100% now.

HTH,

Ben

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brianb,

There is not manufacturer markings on the clips, but they were pre-ban hi-cap mags. The look exactly like BC mags, and snap together with BC mags. I think Ben B. might have posted the fix for these things.

Ben B.,

Thanks! That sounds a lot easier than what I had planned. I think once I get rid of the play, they will be 100%, because they have never failed to strip a round.

Thanks!
RJ

· Registered
2,619 Posts
RJ- If you have easy shooting access (like back yard), you can test it by inserting a mag, then stuffing foil, paper, whatever in the crease to put pressure in the desired direction, and see if that works....prior to mixing up and messing with the JB Weld.

Just an idea (makes me nervous when people take my advice) ;)

Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.