Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a stock 10/22 carbine and the barrel retainer ring and action screw are both hex screws instead of flat head screws. All directions I’ve seen say these are both flat head screws standard.

In the debate to clean or not clean a new rifle before you shoot it the first time, I now firmly am in the clean it camp. Mine had a ton of the oil or preservative in it from the factory

· Registered
509 Posts
Maybe You are not the first owner, but it could be unfired except from
factory. Maybe first owner made mods but for some reason decided not
to keep it ????? Hard to imagine because 1022's are fine rifles !!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
20,844 Posts
Hex NOW the standard.. no plug. And it's about time! The Flat head screw was a accident waiting to happen and MANY a stock were gouged because of that.. they were horrible... anybody need some I have approx. 25 available and will trade you for Hex heads.
And... whomever that buys a firearm and does not clean/inspect it before shooting is a knucklehead.

· Premium Member
6,458 Posts

· Registered
1,009 Posts
Home Depot....10/24 thread, 5/32nd allen head hex, one inch long, stainless, 2 in a pack for $1.50.
Went down this road many years ago.

I thought it was absolutely NUTS to pay $10+ for a Volquartsen, KIDD etc action screw.
Totally nuts

I can't remember the threads or length, but 10-24 x 1" sounds right.
I bought a bunch in bulk
Gave a bunch to friends and still have a few left over

But, 12 cents each is more like it :bthumb:

https://www.amazon.com/Button-Socke...=1538331909&sr=1-4&keywords=10-24x1+cap+screw

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.