Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Junior Factotum and Assistent Hatchet Man
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Robert Brown....CWO4 Hershel Woodrow “Woody” Williams, the last living World War II Medal of Honor recipient, passed away early this morning, June 29, 2022. Woody received the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions at Iwo Jima..….U.S. Marines. A Hero has gone home, bidding goodbye to the Greatest Generation. R.I.P. Sir

Glasses Microphone Eye Vision care Coat

·
RFC Admin & Consigliere
13,203 Posts
We are fast losing the few remaining members of that generation of GREAT American patriots. I still have a few left that are clients of mine, I always visit or call them on Memorial Day. One guy in particular I've known for 20 years, became a widower about five years ago. Last year I invited Bill to go to my "Eden" shooting and fishing spot, and he's been with me and my kids a couple times. Bill is slowing down, and it's going to be a very sad day for me when he goes to his final rest, but comforting in the knowledge that he will be joining his bride.

Thanks for posting this, Frank – although I didn't know much about the Chief Woody here, I just read up and learned. You also triggered my memory and I just reached out to Bill and he will be going shooting with us in the weeks ahead.

DrG

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
He had a long life - good for him! I wonder what he thought of the current goings on in this country that he fought so hard for.
RIP

P.S. I learned something new today. I didn't know the Marines also had Warrant Officers.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
True Hero! He won the MOH for flame thrower use. I heard at one time, in the Pacific theater, guys with tanks on their backs had a life expectancy of 45 minutes. Highly sought-after targets.
RIP

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Born in a little town smaller than the one I live in and not too distant. A gateway to the main I 79 highway passes through this town. He is a hero in all of West Virginia. I say is, because, his lord said he will never die, he has just moved on! He lived a long life here and we should all be so lucky.

I heard it said that if the Lord would ever be so bold as to call him home, he would be seated at the right hand of the one seated at the right hand! He was highly thought of!

·
Junior Factotum and Assistent Hatchet Man
6,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RIP Sir! As a WV boy living in Charleston, we got to follow him quite a bit.

Same here Good Shot, I went to jr high and high school in Charleston and he and Chuck Yeager were personal heroes:)

Woody worked for the VA counseling people for a long time and helped a lot of friends and acquaintances. Just a fine example of a man!

Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts