Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I'm in the market for a .22LR/.22 WMR revolver. I thought my only option was the Ruger Single Six, but my gunshop has this Heritage Arms revolver for half the price of the Ruger. Does anyone out there know anything about these (other than what their web site says.) I don't have a problem with an Aluminum frame for this kind of application, just wondering on accuracy and functionality. Fit and Finish is not the same as the Ruger, but this will be my gun that I take with me in the woods when I'm scouting for deer or turkeys to take down squirrels and the like when they are in season.....

Mike Doerner

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought one with a 6.5 inch barrel (I think) and for the money it is a good gun. The sights are fixed which I don't care for, but they lined up well. The 22 Mag cylinder shot a hair better than the LR but both were adaquite. I have shot Ruger Single-Six's also and they are a major improvement over the Heritage but for about twice the price. Get one, you'll like it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got hold of one in a trade a few months ago and it ended up in the hands of my father. He has fired it a few times and says it is pretty accurate. I though its quality was pretty good for the price, on par with the Ruger if you discount the fact that it has a painted aluminum frame rather than blued steel.

Heritage has a couple of links to reviews of their gun under "Recent Articles" on their site. Gun Test magazine seems to like it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
These things are unsafe junk.

They have the quality of a Jennings or Davis.

The Ruger is much better. It will last you a lifetime and your kids will not be able to wear it out long after you are dead and gone.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Got one with adjustable rear sights. Let the 'kids' (young men that I've introduced to the shooting game) shoot it alot. They'vre put alot of rounds through it. Oh, I've got the one with the long barrel, 9" I think. One of the 'kids' estimates he's put 2500 rounds through it. They buy their own ammo, so he keeps track of it.
I'm not fond of the changeable cylinders, because I think the barrel has to be alittle over size to accomodate the mag bullets. But the one we've got is accurate enough for them.
The only reason I don't shoot it much is because I finally got a Hi-Standard Double Nine.
The Heritage has a good warrenty, so what's not to like. Maybe if we wear it out in a few years we can get a new one.:cool:

·
Registered
685 Posts
guess it depends on the price

I've read allot about them ( including a major gun mag article reprint on their website). Consensus is that they shoot decient but are not anything you'll ever treasure.
FWIW, I'd buy one if I could get it for $100 or so but around here they go ( new) in the $175 -200 range. In my personal experience you can easily get a nice used single six ( with one cyl) for that kind of money. If I had my choice, I'd get the Ruger and plan for the extra cyl latter on .
Never be afraid to buy too much quality. You'll rarely regret it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you buy quality the first time you can't go wrong.

If you pay $175 for a POS and a month later find out it is junk you will be lucky to get half what you paid for it when you get rid of it.

Since most everyone that knows guns would not have a junk gun it does not have resale value. Who would want to buy it?

The internal parts are cheap rough junk metal and if you keep it very long something WILL break. The triggers are terrible.

Anyone even someone that knows nothing about guns can compare one of these to a Ruger and clearly see the difference in quality.

The silly hammer block is just a dangerous gimmick that can get you hurt someday.

Good used Rugers can be bought for around $250. They are good safe guns and when you wish to trade it off someday you can without losing half of your investment.

Buy quality now and forget about junk.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Cornbread2 said:
If you buy quality the first time you can't go wrong.

If you pay $175 for a POS and a month later find out it is junk you will be lucky to get half what you paid for it when you get rid of it.

Since most everyone that knows guns would not have a junk gun it does not have resale value. Who would want to buy it?

The internal parts are cheap rough junk metal and if you keep it very long something WILL break. The triggers are terrible.

Anyone even someone that knows nothing about guns can compare one of these to a Ruger and clearly see the difference in quality.

The silly hammer block is just a dangerous gimmick that can get you hurt someday.

Good used Rugers can be bought for around $250. They are good safe guns and when you wish to trade it off someday you can without losing half of your investment.

Buy quality now and forget about junk.
Lighten up.
Not everyone can afford to go buy the best guns nor does everyone desire to have the best guns.
I go and buy crappy scopes even if I know exactly what I'm getting but I'm okay with that because for me (working college student) any scope is better than no scope. It's gonna be that way when I get my first handgun too (actually I'll be making my first from an 80% 1911 frame because I'm that poor).
There are products at all price ranges because not everyone wants to buy the best of everything.

How about you try giving advice without bashing someone's possible choices for purchases.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fumbler said:

Lighten up.
Not everyone can afford to go buy the best guns nor does everyone desire to have the best guns.
If you can afford to pay $175 for a POS then you can surely pay $225 to $250 for a quality gun that will last a lifetime.

Why would anyone not desire a quality gun over a piece of junk?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Moose in KY said:

Now how is that gonna get you hurt?
It can get you hurt if you forget to use it.

Leave this BS safety off and drop it on the hammer and you will understand. If you live through the discharge.

This it not a problem with the Ruger.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fumbler said:

How about you try giving advice without bashing someone's possible choices for purchases.
There were two choices here.

The origional poster needed advice on buying either the Heritage or the Ruger.

One is quality the other is cheap dangerous junk.

There is no way this can be said any other way.

Why not just be truthfull.

The origional poster can take my truthfull advice or not. That is his decision to make.

If he did not wish to hear the truth or if you are somehow offended by it I am sorry.

I always like to hear the truth if I ask a question. I am sorry if you feel otherwise.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Heritage Arms .22LR/.22 WMR Revolver

Gentlemen,

The "Heritage Arms" 'Rough Rider' .22LR/.22 WMR Revolver does NOT seem to hold its value in the used market.......! ! :(

"Heritage Arms" 'Rough Rider' .22LR/.22 WMR Revolver
MSRP: ~ $150.
Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
100% = $100. [NIB]
_98% = $_75.
_95% = $_60.
_90% = $_50.

"Heritage Arms" 'Rough Rider' .22LR/.22 WMR Revolvers < < Link

$155. would get you a used "Ruger" 'Super Single Six Convertable' in ~ 95% condition.......! ! This would be a much better value.....! ! :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing I do not like about the Ruger....

...is when I work the extractor, the cylinder has to be held out of position (i.e. rotated so it does not rest with a chamber not lined up with the barrel) manually. The Heritage does not have this problem. Used guns have given me problems in the past, so I tend to stay away from them. Guess I'll have to wait until next payday to make my decision anyways. ;-)

Cornbread2: I already know your opinion of Heritage Arms revolvers, and any further negitive comments on the subject are unwarranted.

Any other OWNERS (past or present) of the Ruger or Heritage single action revolvers would be appreciated.

Mike Doerner

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: One thing I do not like about the Ruger....

mdoerner said:
...is when I work the extractor, the cylinder has to be held out of position (i.e. rotated so it does not rest with a chamber not lined up with the barrel) manually. The Heritage does not have this problem.

By all means buy the Heritage if you lack the manaul dexterity to perform such a highly difficult task as removing the spent rounds from the Ruger.

It could take as much as 5 seconds to perform this task.

That really would be a problem if you were being overrun by ground squirrels or other deadly rodents.

Perhaps you should write Ruger and let them know about this serious design flaw before it becomes the downfall of the company.

After all Ruger has been with us a long time and I would hate to see the company go bankrupt.

It may already be too late. Thousands of Ruger owners after reading your post may trade theirs in for the Heritage because of this never before noticed serious problem.

Hundreds of thousands of used Ruger pistols will flood the market and be sold for pennies on the dollar. Ruger will no longer be able to sell another new single action pistol.

Perhaps for the sake of a good American company we should delete this thread before the public becomes aware of this problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.