Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Savage Mark II .22 LR, non- Accutrigger, basic black synthetic, skinny barrel....

It has a Bushnell 3-9x32 non A/O scope. It'll be used for plinking and general duty work, groundhogs, squirrels. Probably no precision target work. You get the picture.

Do I NEED and A/O scope?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Not really, I use fixed power non-AO scopes on just about all my hunting rifles. With the lower power scopes you'll get a small amount of error if your not looking straight through the center of the scope, but for shooting squirrels and pop cans the error wont amount to much. The AO really doesnt become important until you throw target work in to the mix, or higher power magnafication.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
For 9X I would say no. If it is not adjusted to 50 yards you could gain a little bit buy adjusting parallax to zero at 50 yards instead of 100. However, when you go through the math, it really does not change things that much.

Ron

·
Registered
672 Posts
Go forth and plink, you should be good to go. You'll know when you try to bag a soda can at 50'. If the focus seriously sucks you may want to find a rimfire scope... but a 3-9x32 probably is a rimfire scope.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Savage Mark II .22 LR, non- Accutrigger, basic black synthetic, skinny barrel....

It has a Bushnell 3-9x32 non A/O scope. It'll be used for plinking and general duty work, groundhogs, squirrels. Probably no precision target work. You get the picture.

Do I NEED and A/O scope?
Absolutely not. You didn't mention the model, but the Bushnell non-AO that I use are very easy to change focus/parallax on. Most Bushnells are set for 100 yards focus. At 9X you will see a softer target image at 50 yards, and definitely out of focus at 25 yards. This is usually not an issue for hunting, especially if power is set to 4x, where the DOF range is much larger.

Changing the focus/parallax to something like 25 or 50 yards for casual target work on non-AO Bushnells is fairly easy. The hardest part is loosening the dust cover/retainer ring. See below for more info on changing parallax.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94809
http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/parallax.html

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I have to go against the crowd. I have seen major parallax problems in both cheap and higher end non-AO variables when shooting at 50yds and under. Mainly at higher magnification. I'm not talking about a few tenths but inches. On the low end, up to 4x, they seem to be fairly acceptable.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have to go against the crowd. I have seen major parallax problems in both cheap and higher end non-AO variables when shooting at 50yds and under. Mainly at higher magnification. I'm not talking about a few tenths but inches. On the low end, up to 4x, they seem to be fairly acceptable.
Agreed. I leave my non-side focus scopes for the range where I have the same distance every shot. When I'm out shooting at varied ranges, I want to be able to focus so I can be more precise. With my side-focus I can hold withing an inch out to 100 yards, the fixed give me trouble at shorter ranges. Its a compromise.

Fast=fixed
Accurate=adjustable

How close do you want to be?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem. The big Bushnell Banner 4-12x40AO I have, I admit, has spoiled me some. My first Savage (same as yours) is fitted with a Daisy Powerline 3-9x32 non AO, and since I had one available, I tested the newer Mk IIG with a Powerline, but replaced it with a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12x40AO... I just was desirous of the larger 40mm for it's clarity (light gathering) for my poor ole eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.