Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and need a little advise from someone who owns either the Henry Varmint Express and/or the Golden Boy .17 HMR. I am looking at both of these guns to take care of local ground problem and just do a little plinking. I like the GB because of its heavier barrel. Will the VE with its lighter barrel tend to warp with heavy practice shooting? Is one more accurate than the other? Is the GB worth the extra money? Or for that matter, should I forget both of them and buy a Savage 93R17BVSS bolt action, which is about $100 less expensive and probably more accurate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned a Henry Varmint Express for about four years and find it to be very accurate and fun to shoot. With just a cheap Simmons 3x9x40 scope, it will always shoot a half inch or less at 50 yards and an inch or less at 100 yards. Henry has a reputation as a reliable rifle with a very smooth lever action and excellent customer service. A good friend has the Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR with open sights and he is also quite satisfied with the accuracy he is getting. His wife loves the gun and has shot many critters that like to get in her bird feeders.

Don't know anything about barrel warping but have shot as much as 5 boxes at a session without any noticeable problems. I just clean it every 100 rounds and keep shooting. In the woods and fields, I have shot many woodchucks and other small game and as a "lever man" I enjoy this excellent rifle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.