Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my 10/22 tonight and noticed that the firing pin was filthy, so I took a hammer and punch and removed the pin that holds it in place. No problem there, cleaned the firing pin and the groove it rides in, put the spring in place, and somehow it managed to fly out of place and accross the garage (I clean my guns in the garage in the summer because my mom doesn't like the smell of Hoppe's #9). I am guessing that it is not safe to shoot my 10/22 without this spring, am I right? I am going to call the one gunsmith in the area tomorrow to see if he has one. If he doesn't, and I am right about it not being safe to shoot without the spring, I am gonna be upset. Going to Northern MN for the weekend and I wanted to bring it with me.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
In a pinch

Maybe just for this weekend, you could get away with stuffing a spring cut/stretched to the proper operating length that came out of a ball point pen, just a thought......"What would McGyver do?.......Ya can't go on that trip without a rifle......Test its function multiple times on a spent cartridge, and make sure it is working right before trying a live round, but unless the spring got bound up by the "walls" around it, it should work until you can order a replacement.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked at a couple of the ball point pens in my room, the springs won't work. If my local gunsmith doesn't have one, I am going to give my brother a call since he lives in St. Paul to see if he can possibly find one for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its Not a Quick fix .But Call Ruger and They will most likely send you one for free.

Shotguns, rifles and revolvers are serviced by our Newport, NH facility. For parts and service for this firearm, please contact:

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Attn: Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport NH 03773
Telephone: 603-865-2442
Fax: 603-863-6165

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
If not, call Stafford's - a board Sponsor and Tom will get you one quick.

BTW don't feel bad... anyone who takes these little guns apart often enough ends up launching a spring or a pin into the garage black hole. I know I have!

·
Registered
255 Posts
part hunting....

yup...just the other night in the basement...managed to drop a screw for my scope mount....skittered under workbench with a low shelf down there.....got out the flashlight...and proceded to get a nice collection of dead balled up pill bugs (which look a hell of a lot like a tiny screw with flashlight lighting....)...eventually found my screw as well though....parts know how to hide very well....

and it isnice to know that ortho home defense spray is killing something down there.....sure not bothering the spiders though....i think they are thriving on the stuff.....lol

RangerM9

·
Registered
211 Posts
runt said:
I was cleaning my 10/22 tonight and noticed that the firing pin was filthy, so I took a hammer and punch and removed the pin that holds it in place. No problem there, cleaned the firing pin and the groove it rides in, put the spring in place, and somehow it managed to fly out of place and accross the garage (I clean my guns in the garage in the summer because my mom doesn't like the smell of Hoppe's #9). I am guessing that it is not safe to shoot my 10/22 without this spring, am I right? I am going to call the one gunsmith in the area tomorrow to see if he has one. If he doesn't, and I am right about it not being safe to shoot without the spring, I am gonna be upset. Going to Northern MN for the weekend and I wanted to bring it with me.
The flint spring from a disposable lighter should fit although you may have to shorten it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually, my local gun smith had one, was only 2.13 after tax. no one could have gotten me one in time for when i leave in around an hour (7pm central time).

·
Registered
46 Posts
some advice use gallon sized ziplock baggies when taking anything that can go sproing apart the gallon size bag is large enough to get atleast 1 hand inside with the part both hands if you have small hands

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
what? a one gallon bag is only large enough to get one hand inside if you have HUGE hands, or if you can bend at the wrist. i dont imagine that many of the people on the forum are 7' tall, so i dont think that many should have that problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thats how I ended up with the Mag charging handle. (Not exactly complaining mind you;-) But I sanded down the ears on the factory guied rod to remove the parts and polish the guide rod. reinstalling the parts and trying to re-peen the end to hold it all together, the parts shot accross the room and I couldn't find that stupid little funky "washer" that sits between the handle and spring..... woes me;-)

Postal :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.