Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start getting into competition shooting and need a little direction from those with a little experience.

Obviously, I'm new to this so I'm not looking for a world-call shooter. After reading this site, my first intention was to mod out my 10/22 and use it. However, after coming to the realization that match shooting classes people by the equipment used and by the type of shooting they are doing, I want to make sure I don't put money where it isn't versatile. I'm not even sure what match types there are at this point. I'm researching, but there's a lot of info to comb through.

Anyways, I'm looking for a rifle that will allow me to be at least fairly competitive across several disciplines, sampling from what is out there to so I can zero in on what catches my attention. Is this possible? A single rifle that can shoot bench AND silhouette (not even sure what else is out there) and not be terribly outclassed mechanically by everything else shooting by virtue of it's design?

Finally, I'm looking to keep the rifle to $300 or less at least to begin with. Hopefully it will be "upgradeable" enough for the future without having to go to an entirely new rifle.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think your best bet in that price range is a CZ 452. A Varmint or American will make an excellent silly-wet rifle, and will do OK for a starter bench rifle. Equipment requirments are pretty high for serious bench shooting, but, like I said, a CZ will get you started so you can see if you want to move on up. A 10/22 would also work, but you'll spend a lot more than $300 just making one as accurate as a CZ out of the box. Good luck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Forester has good nfo but if you go with the Varmint, you need to add about another 100.00 to the pot, plus glass.

If you lean to a semi auto, get a 10-22, add a Sil stock from Midway or Boyds and a GM bbl and have about the same accuracy. Triggers suck on both but can be fixed.

www.martincustom.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.