Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

help with stock choice

390 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  georgiaboy
I have been reading through old posts withthe search function and have a question about stock choices.

I am going to be shooting both off a bench with a bipod and offhand. Target and plinking with friends. I am attracted to the Boyd Blaster style stock due to looks, but reading the old posts, it appears that that style needs a higher scope mount and that it can be potentially uncomfortable for bench shooting. Is a sport version with thumbhole a better choice for my style shooting?

If it impacts anything - I am thinking of using a fixed 10x 42mm scope.

When purchasing the stock, is there anything else tha I will need to install my barrell into the stock for accuracy or function, or is it a true drop-in fit?

Thanks for any advice,

Zach
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Qstick,
but reading the old posts, it appears that that style needs a higher scope mount and that it can be potentially uncomfortable for bench shooting
Sounds like you've done some good research.

This is just my personal opinion, so take it FWIW, but...

I bought a Blaster stock years ago, before I knew much about 10/22s..... mainly because I was after the "space rifle" look.

But if I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I'd prefer the Thumbhole Sporter you mentioned as an "all-purpose" stock. If I could have only one 10/22 stock, that would be it.

The TH Sporter is more versatile, easier to carry in the field and woods, rides sand bags better, and feels just as good shooting offhand. Also, as you mentioned, the comb is not as high, so the scope can be mounted closer to the rifle.

Also, it's not the scope height that makes the Blaster stocks not-so-good for bench shooting, it's the sharply curved bottom of the buttstock..... it doesn't sit so well in the rear sand bag.

Blaster = Radical Looks
TH Sporter = Most practicality (but still looks good to me!) :t

Good Luck, gb

· Registered
8,058 Posts
go with the t-hole sporter for all around the blaster style is built and designed for off hand shooting and can be a pain in other positions built my all around on a revival tundra t-hole sporter love the stock very comfy lots of meat out front more than a fagen and good balance with my clark barrel. good luck and keep :snipersmi

· Registered
69 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have the same question except it would be for a standard carbine SS barrel. Does the T-Hole answer best apply with the standard barrel?

And which of the inexpensive, synthetic stocks is best recommended for use with a low-mounted scope for all-around use, including occassional bench-rest?

Thanks for letting me intrude for this one question!

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Hogue makes their Rubber OverMolded (OM) stock with both the .920 barrel channel, and the tapered channel for the factory barrel. I have one of each, and they make really great hunting/plinking stocks, the rubber makes for a good grip on the rifle..... but I wouldn't consider them very good for benchresting, unless just for scope zeroing and ammo testing from the bench.

I use a "pressure point" in the front of the forearm of mine, which keeps the barrel centered in the channel, and helps a little with flyers, as long as you don't put a lot of side or twisting "torque" on the forearm.... I don't use slings for hunting on any of my rifles anyway, and when using a sandbag front rest I just put the rest close to the rear... a couple inches in front of the action screw.

There are other synthetics out there, but I don't have any experience with them.... I like my Hogue OMs.

HTH, gb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.