Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some clear instructions on how to adjust the elevation while sighting in my sweet 17 3-12x40 scope? Do i just use the turret on top? I read that i have to loosen the turret screws and align it to get the elevation right. Pics would help a TON.

I think the scope is great and really clear so far other than unclear instructions.:(

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah man just turn the turret on top as if it were a regular scope. Then when you have it sighted in a 100yds, loosen up the 3 set screws on the turret and adjust till the 100yd mark is towards the rear of the scope. Tighten the set screws.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kbonnel is correct - sight in the rifle at 100 yards without loosening the elevation drum (you'll need to remove the windage cap to adjust for windage). After the rifle is sighted in (pay special attention to elevation), you will need to loosen the set screws on the elevation drum (it has the yardage markings on it). The drum should come off with little effort, but I will say that mine was stubborn - to the point that I thought I'd break the scope getting it off.

After you get the drum off, look for a small and rather discreet dot on the turret; this represents the 'zero' point for the drum when you put it back on. Use slow, firm pressure when putting the drum back on the turret. You will likely need to rotate it somewhat to align the teeth (be mindful of the 0 yardage mark on the drum and the zero dot on the turret when doing this). After you seat the drum all the way down, tighten the set screws ONLY ONE QUARTER TURN after you feel firm pressure - I've had two of my buddies strip the threads on at least one of the set screw holes by over tightening.

You'll be all set after that!

One thing to note however, is what type of ammo you are using. In my experience Hornady V-Max will strike higher on paper than hollow points of other brands. this is mostly due to the grains of the bullet. Just keep in mind that other types of ammo, especially different bullet types (HP, SP, Ballistic Tip) could have a different zero than the one you used to sight in the rifle with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly the info i was looking for. I was just unsure about the process. I couldn't believe such a different scope came with un-specific instructions. Thanks guys!

BTW ill be posting pics of my brand new 17 hmr thurs or friday :Blasting_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.