Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about my first 10-22. I'm most interested in target shooting as advancing years make pistol work more difficult. My questions are: is the 10-22 target version worth the extra money? What scope is best for the money figuring 50 yard target work? Thanks,
Charlie

·
Registered
551 Posts

I have no first hand experience with the target model, but some people say they are worth the extra money. What I did, after what I heard and read, I decided to upgrade my standard 10-22 with volquartsen hammer, recoil buffer, and auto bolt release. Then I bought a green mountain barrel and revival stock. I now have more in it than if I had just bought a target model, but I am pleased. I would recommend the Nikon 4X rimfire scope they stock behind the case at Wal-Mart for $99. It has a 50 yard parallax setting and 4" of eye relief. I think it is a good deal.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Scopes: I recommend the Simmons WTC18. $99+ shipping from SWFA (a sponsor of rimfirecentral) for a 6.5-20 scope is a great deal, even better when you see it is a good quality piece of optics too. I just picked up my second one.

Paul

·
Registered
668 Posts
personally i would buy the cheapest version of the 10/22 and rebuild it! there are countless mods you can do to these guns and it is half the fun! i have a hogue overmolded stock, green mountain (gm) barrel, volquartsen (vq) hammer kit, weaver to-9 scope base, and simmons 22mag 4x scope. i shoot really well with that setup, but it is a huntin rig not for the bench IMO. i would suggest a different stock than hogue for bench shooting and a better scope for bench shooting. search around here for a while and you will find great advise for mods for your type of shooting.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Welcome to RFC!

CharlieK,

First off, I can't believe all these people answering your questions without noticing this is a first post, what is going on here these days?

:Welcome: Welcome to RFC!

Now, that being said...I have no idea how to answer your question. :)

The "Model T" looks nice and I think that like MKnarr said if you never doing anything else to it you will be pretty happy with the price-but if you hang out here very long, well...may I suggest starting at the Pawn Shop down the street because you are really only looking for a receiver and (maybe) bolt. Not to bash the factory 10/22-they are a lot of fun and a darn good bargain. I was very happy with mine right out of the box for three years or so, and then I found this web site. I still have one unmodified Bill Special, but these are just to fun to mess with...thanks RFC, yeah--thanks a lot.

Ok, you say 50 yards is your range and you are looking for a scope. I have a 25, 50 and 100 yard setup where I shoot. At 25 yards the 3-4X is fine, but 6-8x works better and improves my groups. At 50 yards I am maxing out a 9-12x already. And if you want to try 100 yards may I suggest something above 20x. I have 20/15 vision (LASIK is cool) and honestly my 4-12x40 is nice at 100 yards for hunting and plinking, but more magnification would be nice for little tiny paper bullseyes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
charliek said:
is the 10-22 target version worth the extra money? What scope is best for the money figuring 50 yard target work? Thanks,
Charlie
Well to put it into persective...IMO the 10/22T is a great rifle... as well as all the rest of the 10/22 clan. If you plan on buying a rifle and not changing it in every way shape or form then it will make a really decent rifle that functions well and keeps decent groups at 50 yards. If you even have the remote incline that you may change stock or barrel or both... go with a barebones 10/22 carbine and get-a-spending. Both my and my girlfiends guns started out as Ts... they were a really great way to start too... but then I found this site... and now there isnt anything left stock on my T but the receiver.

Optics on the other hand are more of a pure personal preference. There are a lot of factors that go into a good scope. Mainly that it is fully adjustable to fit your needs if you choose to shoot more then just 3P/4P or from a bench. Every one of the main manufacturers make a decent scope, so it comes down to looks, price, model (meaning fixed or adjustable) and availability.

Hope that helps ya a little...

And Welcome to the Site!

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
If you are an accuracy nut.. if that last 1/8" smaller groups always bugs you... or if you are a tinkerer..you just love to mess with your stuff... you will be better served by saving your money for aftermarket mods.

If you want to buy one, do nothing but mount a scope and shoot it, that is probably the best model, though I must add that my T/C is much more accurate out of the box that any 10/22 I have had.

If you want to modify it, use that money on parts. I shot an honest to goodness .203" center to center group the first range session with a GM barrel. OH... and it was a reject/second barrel! Betcha can't do that with any stock 10/22 on the planet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.