Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a used Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 AO scope. It’s the more obscure model with the adjustable objective at the bell. I’m trying to determine the minimum distance it will focus to. Older threads here discuss the scope somewhat, but don’t definitively determine the minimum focus distance. Here is a stock photo of the scope in question. Any help?

Auto part Font Tool Metal Bicycle part

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do the markings on the objective bell say?
Good question. I don’t have access to it directly to look. I asked the seller and he didn’t appear to understand what I was asking. The photo he sent me clearly shows an AO bell, but not enough detail to discern. I suppose due diligence would have me ask for detailed pics. I can confirm that he and his shop are legitimate. More into black plastic guns I would estimate.

·
Premium Member
35,683 Posts
I bet that's it. My 3i 4.5-14X40 is a side focus with no markings. I just twist the knob until the reticle doesn't move when I move my head.

·
Premium Member
35,683 Posts
...yeah, if he doesn't understand what you are asking and can't provide a detailed picture of the markings on the objective it might be best to move on. Not saying it definitely is fraud, but it is enough to raise suspicion. At least for me...

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The 25 marking is correct, but it will turn past that and focus even closer. I get over fifteen yards. I can shoot it on our indoor range of forty feet and it works fairly well. Not perfect, but usable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts