Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help with 51M .. Again!

401 11
Hello,

I thought i had this baby fixed but now I have a new problem.

The last 5 rounds of the tube don't feed. I though maybe just a weak magazine spring, but it seems strong enough right up to full extension.

What I found was that the spring may not be strong enough to overcome this:

In the box at the end of the magazine tube, ,past the rim 'gate' toward the chamber, the rounds are getting squeezed between the sides of the box when it should be feeding up. So for instance when the cartridge is nosed up against the feed ramp, the sides of the feed ramp area are pinching the round slightly. It's like the lips of the box are tipped in just a little bit. The spring is strong enough to push the round through the pinch for the first ten rounds, but the last five don't have enough spring to muscle through.

My question is: Do I just have a weak spring and that area supposed to pinch the brass a little bit to keep rounds from just rolling out, or are the rounds supposed to be able to just slide right out of that area freely? If I just file those pinch points with a couple of passes with a fine file, the brass will go right through, it's just a tiny little pinch.

In the first picture, if I turn the rifle upside down, that brass will not fall out. The arrows indicate the pinch points. In the second and third pics, there's a groove right by the pinch points where I assume the rims are squeezing through. I thought about touching it with a file to make the rim and brass go through freely, just didn't know if it was supposed to do that and the spring just needs to be stronger/replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
My vote would be the spring take it out and stretch it a bit and see if the problem clears up. the gun is functing for the first 10 and too much clearance can be a bad thing.
My vote goes with torpedoman:t start with the simple things.--JMJ--

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nook- I just took my model 50 (similar model and parts)apart to look at it .Mine has the pinch point also.It appears to me that the "pinch" section is there to raise the nose of the bullet so it shoots into the chamber. Removing this pinch may cause misfeeding.Like others, I would try stretching the magazine spring before I modified the action at all.After all, the spring is probably older than either of us and just needs a little help.Good luck and keep us posted.Bruce H

·
8,212 Posts
My money is on a...

My money is on a burr (most likely) or something that my have collapsed the upper end of the outer mag tube (not very likely as there are two layers of metal that are brazed or spot welded, very stiff and strong)
From the looks of your pics it looks like someone has been prying on the upper end of the outer mag tube with a screwdriver or a crowbar. The middle picture on the bottom edge particularly shows a very rough edge. My 151 shows none of that kind of abuse. Additionally I checked my 151's mag tube for ease of feeding. Ten cartridges flowed through without a hitch using ONLY gravity to feed them through.
How I tested the outer feed tube... Removed the barrel and action from the stock. Removed the inner mag tube from the outer mag tube. Put ten cartridges in the outer mag tube, held it vertical and manually depressed the cartridge cut-off. All ten cartridges flowed out smoothly in a continuous, uninterupted string.
Based on what I saw in the pics you posted, I would be looking for a burr in the area where your green arrows are. Use your finger to very carefully check that area of your outer mag tube for the suspected burr. A small fine needle file or some 220 grit will hopefully do the trick.
Keep us posted as to what you find.
God Bless, Frank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unrelated, but in my post on a 351ka, I am having an issue with the round flying out of the feedramp and jumping into the chamber without being touched by the bolt; be careful !!!! I think that after seeing a "pinch" surface in your feed that I will need to find parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.