Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BIL just gave my 11 yr old son a bolt action .22 rifle (at my sugestion.) It says SPRINGFIELD on the barrel, then says J. Stevens and the number 56 in large script (model # I assume.) It has a Savage magazine with NRA stamped on the side and a neat-o peep sight which has an ajustable opening. The stock has finger flutes on the forarm. He said it was his dads. Puppy has LOTS of rust on it, bore condition is yet to be determined. I hope to turn it into a good shooter for my boy. Can anyone shed light on this thing?

Many thanks!

X

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says :

from your description , I would guess that you have a

Stevens Buckhorn model 056 bolt action.
22 cal S,L,or LR.
5 shot magazine , 24 " barrel" , wt @ 6 lbs
Sights = Receiver peep , open middle , hooded front
Sporting stock - black forearm tip.
made 1935-48 pres book val. good shape $150.00

J Stevens Arms Co.
Chicopee Falls , Massachusetts
Div. of Savage industries, Westfield,Mass.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Rust Removal

10guy,
Puppy has LOTS of rust on it, bore condition is yet to be determined.
You might try #0000 steel wool and WD-40 on the rust; rub very gently and take your time; you will be surprised how much rust it will take off, and if you are careful, you may even find some bluing under the rust.....! ! :)

Most .22LR ammo manufacturers converted over to non-corrosive priming in the mid 30's, so you might be pleasantly surprised to find a good bore...! ! ;)
.......and a neat-o peep sight which has an adjustable opening.
That sounds like a "Merit" aperature on the peep sight. I do not believe they were supplied with the rifle, although they have been around since 1934...! !

Merit < < Link

Good Luck....! ! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.