Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help w/ Grandpa's 572!

2753 12
My Grandfather recently gave me an old Remington 572 "fieldmaster" that has been in storage for years. He is not exactly sure how old it is, but he did tell me that this particular model was not that popular at the time. I think he told me it was one of the first "lightweight" rifle designs made from aluminum. It has a copper colored finish on all of the aluminum parts including the barrel. It is need of some good TLC, and that's what I intend to give it:)

I cannot, however, seem to find much info specific to this rifle. I would like to know just how old it is, how to take it apart, the best way to "restore" it (if possible) and just ANY info in general about this gun would be very helpful.

Like I said it is an early model 572. It is a pump action rifle that will shoot .22 S, L, and LR. The patent number is 2675638. It also came with no magazine so if anyone knows where I could find one...

Thank you for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Isn't this a tube fed pump? If so do you mean the follower for the tube? I couldn't find anything on GB for a magazine but I wonder if a follower from a 552 would work?
Many of the ads on GB mentioned that this is a smooth bore, is that because of the aluminium, anybody know?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Isn't this a tube fed pump? If so do you mean the follower for the tube? I couldn't find anything on GB for a magazine but I wonder if a follower from a 552 would work?
Many of the ads on GB mentioned that this is a smooth bore, is that because of the aluminium, anybody know?
Rem didn't make a smooth bore in the 572 lightweights. Many of the ads on GB have bad info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I found a bit more info on this gun... According to the markings on the barrel it was made in 1958.

I actually do have the "follower" or "magazine inner tube". I guess I just assumed from the open area in front of the trigger group that SOMETHING was supposed to go in there.

Again, I literally know nothing about this gun. My knowledge of rifles in general is very limited (aside from my 10/22). I honestly dont even know how to load this thing!

I would like to re-furbish the gun as much as possible. Im not sure what its worth but I would like to avoid polishing or refinishing anything that may decrease whatever value it may have. The BST color is a bit of a problem because im pretty sure it will come off if I try to polish out any of the nicks or scratches on the barrel or reciever. I was also thinking about refinishing the stock. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Actually, what is missing in the bottom of the reciever is the "receiver cover". The one that was originally on the rilfe was chrome plated. You can get a replacement, but most likely you'll have to make do with a blued one. It just snaps/slides into place; you may have to pull the trigger group out to get it in then replace the trigger group.

EJ

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Congratulations on getting a Buckskin Tan 572 Lightweight Sixer.I've wondered about how to go about refurbishing one also.The GB link picture shows the anodizing color different on the barrel than the receiver,all I've seen are this way.Perhaps powder coating or a high tech solvent resistant paint available from high end R/C hobby suppliers might work.The walnut stocks had some sort of translucent blonding agent applied followed by what I believe to be varnish.Hope someone helps out with details as to what would be required to duplicate this.I once applied "Arrow Seal",a clear wipe on polyurethane to one that had most of the blonde intact,it works ok at preserving the remaining original finish without darkening it.The one pictured looks just like the first one I saw in 1961,two tone anodizing,copper and brown.I can fax you a copy of the Remington Field Service Manual for the 572.PM or email me about that.boley

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I too was left the 572 with the aluminum barrel. Man I have WORE SQUIRREL out in the these AL woods. Lol. It's a great, accurate gun. Definitely see why they stopped @ the 22cal on the aluminum barrel. Lol. I never have got an accurate idea on how much this rifle is worth. I would never sell it, but I know back in the eighties my granddad was a contractor and an insurance salesman offered him $1400 in 1985?🤷‍♂️. You guys have any idea thanks thanks enjoy this fourm.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Other than cleaning it up with a cloth and oiled rag I wouldn't do much to it. There is no way to get that color back. Leave the wood alone too. Really there is nothing wrong with it. it is 60 plus years old and looks good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts