Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a chance to pick up a 17V at wallyworld tomorrow, but a friend is discouraging me because he says the bull barrel on the stainless model is larger in diameter. I been searching through the posts and have seen this question come up one time, but it was never answered.

Nobody in town has any Marlins, and wallyworld is 100 miles away.

I know a few of you have both these guns. Please leave the measurements if you can.

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are different sizes then the muzzlebreak that was on ebay for the 17vs would not fit the 17v. They guy makeing the compensator thought it might fit the 17v.

If the 17v does have a smaller od barrel, it probably would fit in a 17vs stock. I'm thinking it would be like a float job.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called wally, and they only carry the 17V, so they did not know. The clerk went to hardware and grabbed a tape measure and measured what he thought was about 3/4". I also asked him to measure the circumference. It was 2 9/16". That would put the diameter at about 0.82. You might have it Marine.

Hopefully someone will drag out their callipers. Don't forget to say which barrel you are measuring. The 17V is the one I really need.

The 17V is 6 pounds, and the 17VS is 7 pounds. Just a heavier stock?

The trip to wally is off for tomorrow. I might get on the phone with Marlin Monday. Looking forward to getting a .17

Happy Easter

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just pulled out my Mitutoyo calipers and I have .800 on the VS, the V is the same as my buddy put my stock on his V to see how it looked, It was A perfect fit. I picked up A richards micro fit stock and have been inletting the barrel channel if all goes well he wants my laminate for his. Hope that helps!!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Outside diameter on my 882SSV and my 17V are the exact same.

It's always between .805" and .815" all the way down the barrel.

The 17V and 17VS have the exact same size barrel.

17V - Wood stock, blued action and barrel
17VS - Laminated Wood stock, stainless steel action and barrel

17VS will probably be atleast $75 more, but it is worth it if you have the money to spend.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Viper, and all.

In my area of Montana it is:

17V for $179

17VS for $300

I'm not doing any formal targeting. Just want to kill some ground squirrels around the property. I don't know where I'm going to get the ammo.

My local gun shops are quoting me $230 for the 17V to order.

I did order a KT15x40 Weaver with AO for $200 and $6 shipping.

I know the 17VS is awfull purty, but for $120 I can buy a hammer for the 10/22, a trigger job for the .17, and have some left for a bipod.

Seems the extra weight is in the stock of the 17VS. Or maybe stainless and regular steel have much different densities? Would not thnk that much.

It is good to know that some aftermarket stuff will also fit the 17V.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.