Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was finishing up a box of xpert 22 (Winchester), I had some feeding problems, and the bolt slammed into the middle of the .22 case, and dented the bullets and heads to the point where they will not fit into the barrel. However, these are still LIVE ROUNDS, so how can I dispose of them? I was thinking of burying them maybr 5 inches into the ground... No worry about lawn mower or anything like that.... Poison the ground a little though... I have about 8 rounds. For now, I just throw them in the garage and let the garbage men have it out with them.

Kidding....

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Howdy Phoenix III,

If you have a bench vice, clamp the bullet and twist off the case with your hand. Dispose of the powder (the best part). Recycle if you like. If this is not possible, then soak in old brake fluid or solvent for a couple weeks. Pay that rim some respect, these turn into little grenades if mishandled.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
PIII,

Some of us, over the years, have had reasons to pull the bullets from .22 RF cases.

Personally, I've made soft jaw clamps and what-not to be able to do it safely.

But, for my "bulk" failure to fire stuff......

It's into the brake fluid filled Mason Jar!

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
If you decide to pull the bullets out and remove the powder... throw it in the garden or in a flower pot. It is gooood fertilizer. I'm serious. If you take a pair of pliers and grab the LEAD end, and twist on the other end with your fingers, they will come apart easy enough. Just kind of bend them in the middle and they will seperate.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hi Phoenix,

I often need a primed case to test hammer spring tension and trigger work. As I had posted before, wiggle and twist the case until it comes off the bullet.

I didn't know powder is a fertilizer!

Primers are noisy and tend to spit a lot of crud down (and out) the barrel. Keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction, clean and oil after.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Phoenix_III,

Our range has a "Dud Container", which is a poly gallon jug with what smells like diesel fuel in it; it has a red "No Smoking" sticker above it....... ;)

DO NOT throw dud rounds on the ground at any range: they are a HAZARD to those who mow the range grass.....! ! A mowing machine will pick-up the duds and sometimes fire them.....! !

Our range also has a "Police Your Brass" policy: you shoot it; you sweep it up.....! ! The brass is recycled to pay for target frame maintenance [damage caused by the 'wantabe Rambos']; usually the brass that is left on the ground is also from the 'wantabe Rambos' [non reloadable 7.62x39mm mil surp...]....... :(

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
To sid and Cheapseats,

Brake fluid is a very good penetrating fluid. It will wick into a cartridge and inert the powder/primer. Often mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil and applied to loosen rusted screws. Not for painted surfaces however.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GI Brake Fluid in that Maxwell House then?

Also, how easy is it to detonate a primer on a rimfire? I get nervous when I see one drop from a magazine onto the rocks/gravel of my driveway... Should I be?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
38super,

Brake fluid is probably a better choice than Kerosene or Diesel, both extreme penetrants, BUT, both highly flamable.......! ! :(

The standard penetrant 'test' in industry is the "K&W", or Kerosene and Whiting, where the object [casting or weldment] to be tested is painted on the outside with Whiting, and then filled with Kerosene; ANY porosity of the casting or welds will be seen very rapidly by a staining of the Whiting....... ;)

H2 is a "super penetrant", but very difficult to work with and detect; also, it is extremely explosive......! !

"Kroil" or "Liquid Wrench", both commercial products, are excellent penetrants, but, they are expensive.......! !

Plain water will work, but much slower......... ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
BigMike,

Yup, yup, yup & yup. I usually pull the bullet, especially to get some practice brass for the reloading press. Powder never goes thru my press twice. Pulled bullets for practice only. A local indoor range has a recycling contract for brass and lead. What ever I booger up goes in one of two buckets.

You are either an engineer or a machinist or a foundry man. Not many people know these things. Your posts reveal much of your experiences and knowledge, thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it bad to take a misfire, Rotate the bullet 90 Degrees, and then try to fire it?

I usually do this at the range. Out of 15 misfires, 12-14 will fire the second time thru. The one or two left are collecting in my range bag.

Also, I take it, an inertia puller (Hammer puller) is a bad Idea.

-Jason

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
mendnwngs....

No problem at all rotating a round to make it shoot.

.......but trying to devise an inertia puller for a rimfire round could get messy! Locating on the priming area of a rimfire would be similar to designing a retrograde Darwinian Award.

Ron

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
mendnwngs,

Some notes on "failure to fire":
1. This maybe an ammunition problem or a mechanical problem with the firearm.
2. Not all "failures to fire" are permanent: some are "hang fires", in which case the round fires some seconds after the firing pin has struck the primer.....! ! :eek:
CAUTION: Always count to 10 before attempting to eject or remove a "failed to fire" round.
3. In the case of rimfire ammunition, the reason for the "failure to fire" is quite often due to poor distribution of the priming mixture around the entire rim of the case; in these cases, turning the cartridge 180° will often result in it firing the second time around. :)

Using an inertia puller on rimfire ammunition is a very dangerous practice, as the cartridge is held in the puller by it rim.....! ! :eek:

Hope this helps...... :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.