Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any honest opinion on Mueller scopes and this model ?? Looking for more power and like the thin rect's and DOT but already made some bad decisions on buiding my rifles so can't afford any more :(

·
Vendor
691 Posts
Mayor,

Really depends on the quality you are looking for. Many people call and ask, "Are the Mueller scopes as good as a Leupold VX-III or Zeiss Conquest?" The answer is No! But they are very good quality for the price. Very comparable to the Bushnell Elite 3200 or Nikon Buckmaster, maybe even slightly better. The Eraticator model is one the biggest selling scopes that we carry, all brands. It is great scope. If you are not expecting a Zeiss quality, you should be very happy with the scope.

·
Registered
710 Posts
nice scope,worth the money

I agree with Old Swed and the others. I just bought a silver Eradicator and would consider other if I didnt want to spend $380-$500 on similar powered 4200s and Leupolds. I;m very happy with the scope over the Simmons 8-32x 800116 I sold to get the Mueller.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the fine cross hairs touch the dot ? its hard to tell from their web site camera shot ?

I read 1 review they felt the luby & 4200 were as clear @ 20x as the Mueller @ 25x .............any thoughts

Thanks for all your help :t

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
OldSwede said:
quickdtoo:

Where did you get that beautiful wood on that H&R? Drool....
OldSwede,

Ebay!!! $81 shipped for an original H&R stock set that apparently was either offered as a special order or some limited edition at one time or another. A member at GBO has one similar to it with an identical checkering pattern. The seller said it was on a 243 Winchester Handirifle and he didn't want the fancy stock, so he replaced it with the black synthetic H&R/NEF stock!

Tim

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
mayor said:
Does the fine cross hairs touch the dot ? its hard to tell from their web site camera shot ?

I read 1 review they felt the luby & 4200 were as clear @ 20x as the Mueller @ 25x .............any thoughts

Thanks for all your help :t
Mayor, there is a small space between the dot and the x-hairs. I have a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 also, to my eyes, there's not much if any difference in the brightness, clarity and resolution between it and the Eraticator. But I do have to say that if the Eraticator had a 40mm objective, there probably would be a more noticeable difference in the brightness. Mueller is working on a 44mm Mildot non illuminated version of the Eraticator, it should be available later this year.

Tim

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I just got back from a trip to South Dakota shooting prairie dogs with the Mueller Eradicator. I have had the scope for about a year but didn't have it for my trip last year. My first oppinion of the dot was that it was a little large at 3/8" at a 100 yards but I was using it for target work. After using it in the field aiming at prairie dogs I fell in love with it. The dot wasn't to large for picking out aiming points out to 400 yards or so. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be good for longer shots, I just don't try on those dogs over that. I also had a rifle with the Weaver 6-20 Grand Slam with the 1/8" dot and fine crosshair. The Weaver was hard to use because I had trouble picking up the dot. Yesterday I sent the Weaver in to T.K. Lee to have a bigger dot put in it. Lee suggested the 3/8" dot but I went with the 1/4", maybe a mistake. The bottom line is that the Eradicator is an excellent scope, bright clear, etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just got mine today

I will start with the bad and then try to end on a positive note:
After unpacking it and looking through the glass I was initially disappointed, Their are some bubble on the inside of the far glass that are kind of distracting. I have tried using my lens pen on it and it will not come out so I am assuming it is on the inside of the glass. It looks like some type of grease or glue or something. Here is a pic that kinda shows what I am talking about.
http://www.geocities.com/underwatersniper/mueller
I also noticed that the inside of the scope housing is rough looking and noticable when looking through the glass. The AO markings are not close either. I found a 50 yard target, set the AO and it was blurry, I had to set the AO all the way down to 25 yards to get a crisp picture. The AO ring almost makes a complete 360 which is 180 degrees past the infinity mark. Correct me if I am wrong but I should not need to focus that far past infinity. My last minor complaint is that in low light with the Illuminated reticle on, it will make a red circle around the scope lens.
My major fear about buying this scope was that the housing is manufactured in China and the scope is assembled there as well and it appears that their lack of quality control has produced all of my complaints.

I am needing the scope this weekend so I am electing to keep it instead of sending it back to the optic zone.

I had an appointment to go to so it was later in the evening before I could get it mounted and view it on the gun. I was suprised how bright and clear it was when properly focused. It is no zeiss but it sure is high quality glass for the price. The major feature it has was its light gathering ability. I viewed it in low light on 8.5 power and I could see farther in the low light than I could with the naked eye. The illuminated reticle is nice feature and was a big selling point for me. The target turrets are covered but do not appear to attract a lot of attention when removed.
The real test will come this weekend when I test fire it. It just got mounted on a new savage 10 FP LE with choate stock. My main concern at the range will be repeatabilty which I heard is pretty good. If the scope performs as well as everyone is saying, then this will be a real tackdriver!
Gebosniper

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
after your outing you need to send that one back and get what you paid for. hopefully rich at mueller will get the message to the q.c. at the plant where the scope is put together and not let that happen again. i will bet the farm however that rich takes care of you rather speady.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I had an Eraticator and sold it. Not because anything was wrong with it.
The literature I read about the scope before I purchased it advertised it as having a 1/16 moa dot. I took that to mean the dot would cover 1/16" @ 100 yards. I was disapointed when I discovered the dot actually covered 3/8" @ 100 yards.
I`m one of those people that prefer fine cross hairs or a very small dot.
The scope appeared to be well made for a $200. scope. The glass was fine in my opinion.
You mentioned fine cross hairs in your post. IMHO, fine cross hairs in a scope with a medium or large dot does not mean diddly.
Would I buy another Mueller scope with different cross hairs?.
Yes. I think Mueller is a good buy for the money invested.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wished I went with more power on the scopes the first go around :rolleyes: Brad was right :t my brother uses leupold's with all fine cross hairs so I'm spoiled but can't find other fine crosshairs other than the dot on mueller's & 4200 elites.

Thanks you' al for your help :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.