Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

help needed on making concrete bench

532 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Joe Haller
I am looking at building a semi permanent bench out of concrete and steel. I have a range at my house that I want to primarily use it at, and then I want to be able to pick it up with my tractor's front end loader and put it in the back of my truck for trips to the prairie dog town. Weight wise anything under 1500lbs would work, but I am really thinking 500lbs or so.

I have some angle iron, pipe, and a welder and can come up with the legs but I am not really sure how to do the concrete part. I have worked with concrete on sidewalks, porches, etc but never anything like this where I don't have ground to pour it on. Are people building a form with a plywood bottom and pouring into that? Pouring it seperately and then positioning it on the legs, or pouring in place? Is rebar necessary?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10,461 Posts
We have concrete benchs at the range I belong to. The legs are concrete block and the top is a seperate concrete slab that we custome make. We use plywood for the bottom and the sides are formed with 2 inch wide strips of of a flexible material. The plywood and sides are oiled with the same stuff used on concrete forms for pouring a basement. The tops are concreted ontop of the block legs.

· Registered
444 Posts
Friend Bdog

I think you will find the concrete bench top a bit unweildy.

I have just what you need.

It's a portable bench built specially for PD hunting. This is not a cheap wobbly bench. It has a one inch solid oak top. The center pipe is 4" aluminum. The seat swivels in a 360 degree circle. The feet are built of large molded aluminum with adjustable feet.

I don't know if the company I bought it from is still in business, but it was touted as the most heavy duty, sturdy, portable bench built.

I no longer hunt prarie dogs and it is just sitting in my shop.

· Registered
3,463 Posts
We fairly recently built 6 new concrete benches for our range. They are great; very solid. FWIW, here's how we did it.

We formed up the "T" tops using 2X4's on edge, giving us a 3 1/2" deep form. Placed these on sheets of scrap plywood flat on the ground (level spot). Used plenty of steel rebar & poured them with concrete. These tops weigh about 300# so when they cure you'll need a couple of buddies (or more) to help you pick them up.

For the legs we formed (w/ 2X4's again) pads on the ground where we wanted the benches; 3 per bench, 2 up front & 1 rear. Make sure these are level as they are the base for your legs.

As legs we used plain 8X8X16 concrete blocks (3 per leg). Rather than use mortar we just glued them together using liquid nails.

The pre-cast tops are just sit on top of the legs (no glue). The weight is plenty sufficient to hold them in place. If any additional levelling is required it can be easily accomplished using thin wooden shims between the top & the legs......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.