Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See I wanted to keep the budget under $100. If I go to a "scope site" I have a feeling $200 is the minimum I can expect to spend for what is a $159 rifle.

So even the simmons and nikkon were junk??

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
emt1581 said:
See I wanted to keep the budget under $100. If I go to a "scope site" I have a feeling $200 is the minimum I can expect to spend for what is a $159 rifle.

So even the simmons and nikkon were junk??

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Starting at the bottom of the post and working up ...... Nikon or Nikko? Nikko I don't know squat about but I can tell you Nikon works well but I didn't see anything from Nikon at that website.

Best $100 scope is going to be a Simmons WTC-18, get extra tall Weaver rings for it you'll need them. Check with SWFA for them at that price.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Natchez recently had Simmons 44 Mag scopes on sale. Check their website. I can't attest to the usability of the scope, but there have been positive posts here about them. You may have to stretch about $20 to get there from the amount you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I know next to nothing about scopes, not to mention what the magnification measurements mean, I think I'll put buy one on the back burner for now and instead do some research and educate myself on the subject, then come back and figure out which one to buy.

I never thought this would be such a cofusing subject.

I do appreciate all the suggestions and links!:) Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Get the Whitetail Clasic 18 (WTC 18) at SWFA. It is huge but you wont be sorry. You cannot get more value for $100 except maybe the 44 mag(#1048) at Natchez is also a steal at $100. It is smaller and has a slightly smaller objective(front) bell for light gathering than the WTC but has very nice target turrets (the adjustment knobs) and a quick focus eyepeice(also very nice) Both scopes max out at 20 power. Both scopes are 6.5 power on the lowest setting. Both have liftime warranty. If you really want to tell the sex of a gnat at 100 yards. You will need to spend some more cash. A bit less than $400 for a Weaver T36(36 power).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Another vote for the WTC18, I really like mine. Second option would be a 44mag (1048).

Chum: The WTC does not have "target turrets" just finger turrets. The 1048 is the scope with target turrets. Since I haven't got to look through a 1048 I cannot really compare but I would imagine they are pretty comprable.

EMT: Scopes are another place where you get what you pay for, quality costs! The reason the WTC and 1048 are so popular is that they are discontinued and clearance priced at $100 instead of $200+. So for $100 budget they are probably your best bet.

As for CDNN's scopes, I have a Nikko Sterling and it is bright and clear. Honestly the optics on it are very nice for the price. Mechanically though, it isnt quite up to snuff... focus ring doesnt like to work and adjustments are not repeatable nor does it have much adjustment to it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You are talking about an "Ultimate" for 159 dollars and a 100 dollar scope? Not exactly what I would call an ultimate.

How much did it cost you to get the supressor you were talking about in the other thread? And where do you live? If it's in the USA I bet it was a lot if it is legal. I would get better optics before I got something like that. Just a personal preferance though. I see the one you said you have is listed for like $300, and that is before taxes and registration stuff, but you only want to spend 100 on a scope?

While I'm not a huge proponent of high dollar scopes, you normally get what you pay for in the optics world. For an average .22 at 25 or 50 yards I don't think a real expensive scope is huge deal. A nice 3-9x40 should work well. If you wanted to get fancy a 4-16x44-50 with an adjustable A0 would fit the bill nicely.

However for 100 yards and the clarity and accuracy you are talking about expect to spend some money. And if we are talking about a .22 rimfire good luck getting one that accurate at 100 yards. Now a .17HMR maybe. Not that it can't be done, but not for $160. I would think your barrel would cost that. I've never built one though. I would think some of these guns I see on here you could add a zero to the back of that figure and you would be closer to what was invested. That is what I consider an "ultimate".

When I was getting a scope for my .17HMR I went thru about 4 before I found the one I wanted. And they kept getting more expensive as I went. I finally ened up with an Alaskan Guide 6.5x20x44. And it cost almost 400 dollars. I used a couple in the 200 dollar range that were nice, but not as clear at 100 yards or longer at higher powers.

(The cool thing about having a cabela's near by is you can try anything you want and if you don't like it you just take it back and get your money back or something different.)

If I were you I'd be looking at scopes in the 200 to 400 dollar range with high power (20 or above) and an adjustable objective. And some good mounts. You might find something cheaper that will work, but I don't think it will be as comfortable to use. And a scope with that magnification and those features for 100 bucks would make me question it's quality.

I own a 100 some dollar BSA scope like what you are thinking of. While it shoot ok and I haven't had any trouble with it there is no comparison to my more expensive scope in optic quality at 100 yards. You shoot one for a little while and then switch to the other one and it is like night an day. Sort of like the difference between a cheap pair of tasco binoculars and an expensive spotting scope.

Just my opinions any way.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
232 Posts
I will add that I think for the money the two scopes mentioned above are nice for the money, especially at those prices. I have looked at one and have a buddy that owns the 44 mag. The aetec or whitetail expedition I think it's called, are nice scopes as well. I think the WE is the early version of the aetec and is discontinued. It is one of the scopes I tried one on my 17, it was around 200 bucks I think. They might be cheaper now if you can find one. You could check cabela's bargian cave as well.

Paul

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
emt1581

Yes, I would suggest you read up on scopes, as for price you get what you pay for.
If you are shooting rimfire at different distances, ie 25,50,75,100 yards, I would suggest a adjustable Objective (AO) scope, if at 50 to 75 yards a non-AO scope for 22 rimfire with a set objective at 60 to 75 yards.
It does make a difference also if it is to be used for hunting or target shooting or both, all three uses require different scopes to be most efficent in its use.
I would also suggest that you go to Simmons, Redfield, Nikon, and other sites and read up on their products.
You can sometimes pickup a great deal on a closeout or discontinued models.
Happy scope hunting!

Don Warren

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Oh dear oh dear

The S&W scopes are probably the highest quality there ...

Nikko Stirling scopes .... Yeah we have had them here in Oz for 40+ Years ..
And the 4x40 6x40 to 10x40 have a good rep , no moving parts to fall appart .

For a rimfire , the fixed power Nikko Stirlings are fine , I had one that never gave a problem in over 7 years of use ......

Ive checked out the new range , and even the cheap ones are nice and clear [ 6-24x40AO ] ... Dont ask me how long they will last ...

If its cheaper than BSA or Trashco , dont expect too much .....

Matt

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
44 mag, 44 mag, 44 mag.

this must be like the 3rd time youve asked this sme question. people keep telling you the same thing. :)

Simmons 44mag, ATV, WTC, Nikon ProStaff. these are just a few of the ones that have been recommended, they are all good. you just have to pick one. none of them will dissapoint you. :t

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.