Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a nice single shot, bolt rifle. Beautiful dark walnut stock with sling swivals and flat steel buttplate.
Barrel reads: SPRINGFIELD Manufactured by J. Stevens Arms Company MODEL 53-B. Left rear side of receiver is marked WARDS WESTERN FIELD and same area of the receiver has a flat area with single screw as though to attach a peep site, and the stock has a small relief cut below the flat area.
Rear site is flat steel blade type adjustable for both elevation and windage. Windage adjustment is done with a serrated wheel attached about midway on the rear site. Turn the wheel and the rear blade assembly turns to adjust windage. Rear site is stamped "patent pending". Barrel has a circle with number 24 inside.
All I can determine is that since it is stamped"J. Stevens Arms Company" that it was made sometime between 1920 and and the late 1940's.
Thanks for any help, Jim.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The "Springfield" line of rifles by the

Joshua Stevens company were a cheaper line of rifles generally downsized and made for boys. The model 53 series single shot was one of their better models. "Western Field" was a Montgomery Ward brand. This rifle was made by Stevens specifically for Wards to sell in their catalog. The rifle was made in the '30s.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OldCorpsJoe,
Thanks for the information. Did any of the Model 53's come through with a peep sight? The left rear receiver has a milled flat area with one screw hole drilled and tapped. Also directly under this flat area the stock has a relived area. Both the stock and receiver appear to have been done at the time of manufacture.
The rifle is like new condition, from what you have said I probably paid higher than the market value. I gave $80.00, but I like it.
Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
western feild

Wester Feild was yes a wards line produced by Mossberg if that helps at all.....all i can say is start looking for mossberg and springfeild sites....maybe you will get lucky

·
Registered
2 Posts
From sixth edition Gun Values.
Stevens Buckhorn Mod.053:bolt-action,take-down single-shot,25 Stevens rimfire,WRF,22 short long LR,24"barrel uncheckerd walnut stock,pistol grip,black forearm tip,receiver peep sight,open middle site,hooded front.made 1935-1948,Used value $75 to $85
Model 53 has same specs except for open rear sight plain bead front Used value $60-$65.
I think you did OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.