Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help identify a Sears 22 auto

443 4
Hello, I've searched numerous threads and many google searches later, I can't find the 22 I had as a kid.
I had a gun that I bought from Sears in the early 80's. It was a Sears branded autoloader that was tubefed. It looked a good bit like a Sears Model 25 except the stock was a really crappy wine red synthetic stock. Also, one thing that I've not been able to find is it also had a weird safety. The safety was a slip forward affair that resided on the very back of the receiver. It slid forward and back for safe/fire. It also came from Sears with a really low power scope.

Any ideas as to which model this may be?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
sounds like a a savage 85 i think? it has a double sear and gills on the side... dead give away. but they had that safety on the back like that and they had a synthetic stock like you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The only 22 autoloader I'm familiar with that has the safety on top rear of the receiver is the Mossberg 333, mfg'd 1972-73. It had a 2-piece wood stock but may well have been mfg'd as a 'house' brand for Sears or others, with a different synthetic stock. My cross reference lists show no Sears (or J C Higgins, Ted Williams, Ranger, etc) rifle using the Mossberg 333 as a 'base'. Here's a scan of the 333. Did your Sears rifle look anything like it, perhaps with a different stock? If it wasn't anything like that, I dunno. Maybe someone else has better references.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.