Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help! I goofed up my trigger assembly

1086 Views 25 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  robertm
Help...I have been doing some reading about the trigger jobs, and wanted to send it off to have it smoothed out. I read some of the information put out by JoeCichlid which was great. And I want to send the trigger to him for work. However, I have 2, and thought I would work on one and see what results I could achieve myself.

I took it apart, polished the parts and put it back together. I believe I have everything back together correctly, however here's the problem.

When there is pressure on the hammer, the trigger will not release it. If the hammer spring is out and there is no pressure on the hammer, it will release. But when the hammer spring is in and pressure is there, I depress the trigger and the sear does not move. Again, if no pressure is on the hammer, the sear moves fine and releases it.

Is there something I didn't put back together correctly? Or did I polish a part too well and mess it up?

I THINK I have described this where it makes sense....thanks for input and help!!!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just tried it again, the trigger releases easily, just didn't do anything. I did polish the sear and hammer with a dremel tool. I pulled the trigger as hard as I could and still won't release without help.

thanks

· Registered
1,582 Posts
SwampF0X said:
When you reassembeled, did you make sure the slot on the end of the hammer strut is facing up? People say that this is very important. WHY???? I don't know, but that's what they say.

good luck,
swampf0x
I took a new trigger assembly apart and it was down. I have tried it both ways and can't seem to see a difference.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Tell us more.

Explain further what you did besides polishing, like what has been modified, and how, for instance, are you using oversize pins, etc......

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No aftermarket or different parts were used. I used my dremel tool to polish the surfaces of the hammer, sear, and disconnector. I wouldn't have thought I messed anything up but I obviously did. :(

thanks

· Registered
4,297 Posts
ghost in the machine

try looking into the sear/disconnector relationship, either a pinched trigger from being in the vise while polishing is creating a binding problem, or perhaps there is something in the disconnector spring that is not allowing the sear to pivot, and engage/disengage correctly.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Take it all the way apart and do it again.

#1, you may discover your problem, or inadvertently fix it. I had a washing machine that liked the attention a good dissasembling provides - I never fixed a **** thing, but kept taking it apart every year or so just 'cuz.

#2, There's no replacement for experience. The first time I took apart a trigger group, I was a little worried about getting it together right, after the tenth, twentieth, and fiftieth time, it went together like I was a pro.

· Registered
13 Posts
Do not give up.

Remove the trigger assy from the rifle.
Take it apart and be sure the safety has the flat side up.
Put the trigger, sear, hammer, sear spring and follower back in without the hammer spring and bolt release.
try working the trigger and hammer by hand without the springs and bolt release and see if it will work.

· Registered
13 Posts
Are both required to be out to get it to work?

Looks like you narrowed it down to 2 items.
Have you tried putting one back in without the other?
Is the round end of the bar passing thru the hammer spring polished?
Be sure it moves freely inside its fit in the back of the hammer.

· Registered
6,463 Posts
It may be possible that you got the trigger return spring and the disconnector spring mixed up. It's easy to do. They are very close in dimention. Try reversing them and see if it helps. If not, switch them back.

Why must we grief so much over our triggers? As long as it's decently light and goes BANG......................we should just leave well enough alone. (myself included) I want that perfect trigger assembly without spending a small fortune on it. I assume that's most of our problems. **** KIDD has spoiled me to death.

swampf0x

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still no success. I just ordered the replacement hammer, sear, and disconnector from Ruger. I'm going to put it back together using those new parts and then send it to have someone polish and lighten it for me.

thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.