Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am buying a Savage Mark II F next friday, and it is NOT drilled and tapped for bases, it only has dovetail grooves. But a lot of the airguns I have had and even my Marlin 60 would always seem to move dovetale bases over time. I really love the Weaver and picatinny style bases. I know there are bases that mount the dovetail to make it weaver, but are there any that would shallow out around the ejection port?? Basically whats the best dovetail to weaver base or even one peice scope bases I could get for this savage for under $30.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
I've been shooting for over 30 years and have never had a dovetail ring come loose. Gte a good set of plain ole dovetail tip off rings and be done with it. Your just adding more pieces to your scope set up that you do not need. Get Burris or Leupold rings. If YOU put them on right, they will not move on you.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Brandon,
As always, Gizzy offers good advice. The KISS principle is best.

In addition to what he said, you might consider investing in, or borrowing, a torque screw driver, and torque all screws down to at least 20 in-lbs. Many people are happy with the Fat Wrench. In the past, I have babied the scope screws when tightening, only to have them loosen under use. Since getting a torque wrench, this problem has not reoccurred and tipoff rings stay in place. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unless your mounting a huge honker of a scope, those mounts will make it ride pretty high. The cheap price makes me think soft metal and crappy threads that will strip easy ( except BKL, very good stuff). As was mentioned, good quality Burris, Leupold and yes, even Millet angle locks will mount very secure. I also use the two piece dovetail to weaver adapters on problem receivers.

http://www.straightshooters.com/bsquare/b217025threeeigthstoweaverbases.html

http://www.nvscopes.com/weaver adapter.html

http://www.shootingtips.com/Web shop/Rimfire Weaver Adapter/Weaver Adapter.html

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
Well guys thanks so far, I use the KISS principle all the time. But these arent that mny peices and seem like they would grip better.

What about something like these.

http://www.airgundepot.com/accushot-medium-30mm-828.html
http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-gabase-ring.html

I really like these and the price is great. But as far as ejection issues like the case hitting the mount. Does that look like it would be a problem??
Just stick with a good set of 3/8" tip off rings and you will be fine. No need for all of that stuff your wanting to mount on there. Just adding weight to the rifle doing that. If you want it, it should work though. Its just WAAAAY too much for a .22.

·
Registered
327 Posts
OH wow,

I see the one piece base for Air rifles has finally been accepted. Have one on my Feinwerkbau 127 since I brought it new back in 1979, yep nearly 30 yeras ago. Guy named Mike Sweeny made them under the Rhino brand :bthumb: .

Now they have been copied many times and one of the largest producers is Sports Match. As for mounting height it's a funny thing but if you look at the high doller Field Target Trophy rigs they all have high mounted scopes and all the setips are very ............................. very accurate otherwise they don't get anywhere in the comps ;) .

All my scopes are mounted to that when I shoulder the rifle the sights align with my eyes, no movement of the head it required and if to obtain this the scope is higher than some "expert" recommends then fine by me :D

As for the ejection port and a one piece mount why not relieve it to clear the port? after it's not Rocket science :p did that to a Rhino mount to fit it on Rem Nylon 66. Wish I hadn't ruined the mount now as the rifle is long gone :rolleyes: . As for drilling and tapping a dovetailed reciever :confused: why as those small screws can come loose of shear and oftent ehy just have a dovetail on the bases so all your doing is adding another layer and compounding any errors in alignment plus another layer of tolerences :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I really like these and the price is great. But as far as ejection issues like the case hitting the mount. Does that look like it would be a problem??
Looks like it might have an ejection problem. I don't think those rail mounts were meant for a bolt action.

As an aside, even the ejection cut port rails can sometimes be problematic. A CZ gun owner purchased one of the CZ rail to Weaver mounts (with ejection cut out), only to have ejection problems. Most CZ owners don't have these problem, however I think his holder/ejector and little ejection nubby (don't know technical term) might have been slightly out of spec, allowing some shells to eject slightly in the wrong direction and into part of the rail. He probably was never aware of this until he got the rail. If you really have your heart set on a Weaver rail, double check that ALL your casings are being ejected consistently to the right and at a low enough ejection angle.

Again, I will second Gizzy reiteration of going with quality 3/8 inch rings. Good luck to you in whatever path you take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.