Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Help choosing new .22 LR range gun.

654 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  dmachine
I'm choosing a new .22 LR for the range shooting from the bench at 50 and 100 yards, but I also want to practice with it off hand. That's where I start running in circles. I like the CZ 425 Varmint (but not the wood stock), the Savage Mrk. II BV) best for off the bench shooting, but the Ruger K77/22VBZ off hand because I like the laminated stock and the longer barrel seems to make pointing it easier. I've ruled out the Rem. 504-T for the 20" Barrel and the Marlin 980V because I can't find a laminate stock I like for it.

I guess I could look for a used gun of some discontinued type but don't know rimfire guns well enough to know what model to look for.

I could use some input here guys. :confused:
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
747 Posts
Rifle

I have a cz 452 style that shoots great. It is a nickel coated with a black composite stock. I put a brooks trigger kit and it is really smooth.
You might also look at the 452 american. These are the same guns but one is metric and the other is standard but I think both are sporter barrels.
The CZ varmint has a bull barrel and I think a wood stock. Most of the stock makers make a stock to fit the 452. You can also check at www.cz-usa.com for more info.

Larry

· Registered
759 Posts
A ruger 77/22 with the grey steel and laminated stock at Omaha sheels for $399. It says used but does not look it. They might ship it to your FFL if you ask. Its a good deal. I would get it if I needed it.

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
you say you dont like the varmint because of the wood stock, but at least it is walnut? Walnut looks better than laminate (to me). I would reccomend the Biathlon basic as it needs absolutely NO upgrades beyond a scope and rings. However, its off the bench performance is iffy because the forend doesnt sit on bags as good as some guns, but it comes bedded from the factory and free-floated, something you will need to do to keep most other guns consistant. It doesnt do too bad offhand, but my offhand skills with a scope arnt that great, i do better offhand with open sights. You might be different (i hope).

either CZ or Biathlon basic are probably going to be your most accurate options. the cz with synthetic stock sounds like a good choice for you :)

· Registered
440 Posts
If you can qualify to buy from the CMP, you might want to take a look at the H&R M12 rifles that they are currently selling for $225. It's a good quality single shot target rifle, and you can't beat the price.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
w.c.s, It's not an appearance thing for me. I see guns as more like hammers than scultures. I prefer laminate to wood just because it's less likely to warp. Good composite is my favorite but you can't get it on the CZ varmint special or the Ruger with the 24" barrel and I'm not ready to buy a stock and tow it out immediately for a .22 range gun. The Ruger is availble in stainless which I prefer to blued steel just because outside metal surfaces requires less care.

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
"stainless which I prefer to blued steel just because outside metal surfaces requires less care"

less care is NOT the reason to buy stainless, more resistance to weather is a good reason, but if your not going to care for it as much as you would a blued gun, it will come back to haunt you eventually.

i do understand why you want stainless, but its not a carefree metal...its only resistant to rust, not rust proof, at least not the stainless used for guns.

that being said, the ruger sounds like the best bet for you. i wouldnt waste my time since the CZ will be much more accurate out of the box, but thats your choice :) we are in america, land of the free.

get what you want and dont let anyone tell you your wrong, it will be your gun!

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Buy the anschutz in the classifieds. Model is the 64mpr it is the best entry level rifle out there. It comes with a decent stock to ride the bags (much better than what you have mentioned) 10oz two stage trigger right out of the box, 25.5in match grade barrel. By the time you are done playing the with ruger you will have more money in it than that b/c they don't shoot that well out of the box. The cz (most of them) right out of the box will give you .5 to .6 at 50 yds with a trigger kit the ruger with a volquartsen sear will give you .6 to .7 and the anschutz will give you .3s right out of the box. The anschutz will shoot under an inch at 100yds with good ammo and reading the wind correctly. Short of 1000 bucks they can not be beat. I have owned all three you have mentioned and nothing is in the class with the 64. At 50 the gun will shoot .3s. I sold mine to build a custom, sold the custom to pay for tution. Now I don't want to compete just want to shoot groups. I want that 64 so bad I can't stand it, just short on funds. If that guy had a layaway it would be mine in a heart beat. One last thing, that same gun sells for 769.99 plus tax at Whittaker's gun shop

· Registered
145 Posts
Kimber makes a nice .22 also, although a little more money than most. The Anschutz is about the best .22 out of the box. That Marlin 2000L TACOMA has for sale is a copy of the Anschutz, and they make a 7 shot clip system for it you can add. The one I saw, and almost bought, had a grey laminate stock to. Iv had a lot of .22's over the year's, and the best shooting one Iv ever had, out of the box, is the Russia Biathilon BasicI just got. For $220 you simply can't beat it. (I think they sell for about $270, I got a deal on mine.) The stock suck's, but the rest is pretty nice. You can alway's go with building a high end 10/22 or just buying one all built from Volquarsen, they work great!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New range gun & scopes are on the way.

Thanks for the input guys. I chewed and chewed on the decision and ordered an Anschuetz 64 MP R for my new range gun. I'll be topping it with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target with a fine Duplex reticle. I also ordered a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Ultralight EFR for my 77/22 squirrel gun. I can't wait to get my sweaty hands on em. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.