Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just purchased a Ruger MkIII Hunter and am planning to add some type of optic for increased accuracy. My original plan was for a x4 handgun scope and I searched the archives here to try to narrow down the selection and instead have broadened it as I am not considering a red dot sight system.

I will be shooting this one at 50 yds or less and my budget for this one would max out at $300. The less the better as the funds for this project are not even acquired yet.

What do you think?? Can I get some nice groups at 50 yards with a red dot? If I want performance like my Ultimate 10/22 under 50 yards, do I need a magnified scope?

When your ring in with your selection, please feel free to add what model scope or sight you would recommend. As even if I choose which style optic I want to go with, I still have to choose what brand and model.

With red dots, I am surprised to read that BSAs have several good reviews on this site. Do you think if I go the red dot route, that a cheap BSA will do the trick or would something like a Nikon Monarch be more suited to do the job??

Thanks

·
36,633 Posts
I've been shooting scoped handguns since the dark ages when you had a choice of three: T/C Lobo, Bushnell Phantum were both rail mount octagon housing 1.5X and 2.5X respectively. They were pretty awful. The third one is still one of the very best the Loupold (yea, I know I spelled it wrong) 2X. I had one for 25 years and shot it on Contenders that killed everything else.

During a bad spot I had to sell all the Contender stuff and it went with it :(
I'm now shooting a KMK678GC Ruger Slabside with a Nikon 2X that I like alot. Did you notice another 2X? With pistol scopes (all scopes really) when you go up in power you lose field of view. Anything over 4X it starts to become a chore to even find your target. This is really true on a semi auto because you want to get back on target quickly. So for power I would recomend staying at 4X or under.

But can you see well enough to shoot well? Last Friday I shot three ten shot groups at 100 yds with the 2x Nikon that were all right at 2 1/4 " for ten shots! My target was a black 3" "Shoot and See". I truly believe that with a 4X I might have shaved another 1/4" off the group but who knows? To be honest all three targets were shot about as quickly as I could get the cross hairs back on target.

Brand: I have had good luck with scopes by Luopold, Burris, T/C and now Nikon. While I was shooting there last week a fellow came up to see what I was doing as few people shoot 22 pistols at 100 yds. He had a BSA that he paid 35 dollars for about 5 years ago and he said he never had the slightest trouble with. I would, however, not use that statement to recommend something to you. It's always the same old thing with optics.....get the best you can afford. I liked the Luopold better than the Burris but both are very good. T/C makes some fine scopes and I really like my Nikon. All 4 makers will be there for you should trouble arise. I hope you really enjoy your new pistol. You made a fine choice. Don't be afraid to shoot that thing out past that 50 yd bunker, It might just surprise you how much fun long range pistol shooting can be :D :t :t

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have used a few handgun scopes over the past few years. I agree with Vincent when it comes to magnification. A 2x or 4x power scope will give you a great full field of view. The variable power scopes do have a smaller view. I have used the Nikon 2-8, Weaver 2.5-8, Simmons 2-6, and the Simmons 2x. The straight 2x power scope was the easiest to use. Your eye doesn't have to be in the "right" spot to get a good view. All were great scopes, though. The Nikon edging out the Weaver in clarity by just a tad. The Weaver is real close though, and for almost $200 cheaper, it's a great deal in a handgun scope with that much power($199 and 2.5-8X28). I put the Weaver on a Savage Striker .260 Rem. Talk about a thumper! The Nikon wasn't mine, but it was on a .44 of a friend. I put a S&W red dot on my .22 pistol. I mostly use it for shooting armadillo's at night, not paper punching.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
351 Posts
red dot

I bought a very cheap red dot today and tried it on my Buckmark. At 15 yards it was bullseye, bullseye, bullseye. That was great!!! Then I moved to 25 yards. I could barely keep it on the paper!! Who wants to shoot at 15 yards. It's back to the scope for me.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I have little experience with handgun scopes, but like Vincent above, the 2x Leupold has not done me wrong - great scope for a .22 handgun for small game / short range targets. Mine is mounted on a Ruger Mark II Target 5 1/2" bull barrel with a B-Square monoblock scope mount:

Off a bench, fantastic, but I have the 'wiggles' when shooting offhand - those crosshairs sure do wander more than on a rifle. For me, anything more than 4x is probably overkill - too much magnification for the range. This mount has a tunnel which allows me to use factory irons as well without removing scope - a handy feature.

I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.