Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no ideal there were so many air rifles when I decide to get one. Ever time I think I have my mind made up I read bad things about the gun. how did you decide what gun for you?
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you've heard anything bad about an R-7, I'd sure like to know what. I'd say someone is pulling your leg :bthumb:

What Don't you like about the R7?

Price? power level? size/shape?

Mostly your hearing "bad things" about alot of rifles because your looking at alot of low end guns. Its very had to please everyone, especially with a $150 airgun.

The tough decision making is just part of it. I struggle everytime I go to order a new one. Thats part of the airgunning hobby- airguns, especially spring rifles, have a sort of personality, a soul. Everyone of them is different and a good deal of the enjoyment is getting to know them!

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you've heard anything bad about an R-7, I'd sure like to know what. I'd say someone is pulling your leg :bthumb:
What Don't you like about the R7?
First airgun!!?? Get the R-7....you may not ever want/need another airgun. It is smooth, reasonably quiet, accurate, easy to cock, will suit all the family (size-wise) and has a GREAT trigger! If you get a quality airgun at the beginning you will simply love it! ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I may be the wrong person to answer this because I really enjoy owning all types and have multiples of each, but you can start by eliminating some types. First decide if you may want to shoot inside or outside or both. If you want to shoot inside you need to consider the noise. Low to med. power springers are the quietest. Do you want to plink, target shoot or do pest control or all 3. For plinking and target shooting low power will be fine but if you want to do pest control or longer range plinking you will need a med power gun (ie:9-12 ftlbs). Will you shoot in cold weather, if so dont consider CO2. Do you live at very high altitude say over 4000 ft. If so you need to realize springers will not shoot as powerful as advertised. Will you shoot on a regular basis or just once in a while. Remember springers take a bit more technique that only practice will help and a regulated PCP may have problems if it sits for long periods of nonuse. do you think you will only shoot a few shots at an outing or many. Pump guns are a pain if you want to shoot alot but if you only shoot a few shots to scare the birds out of the garden or take out a squirrel thats nesting in the attic the pump guns are perfect because you can vary the power to suit the situation.
So with all that info and not knowing anything about what you need I will still tell you what I think. A good quality low to medium power spring gun like the HW30/R7 or the HW50 in .177 will be a gun most people keep for a lifetime and the price is going up all the time so if you think they are expensive now so you buy something cheap while you save up you will kick yourself in a year or 2 when you price them again if they are still available. No serious shooter should be without one of these even if you have to get one second hand. The other rifle I think is essential is a benjy .22 pumper. Weather you shoot it iron sights or put a dot sight on it the ability to change power by pumping twice or 8 times is very handy and if you keep a pump or 2 in them when your not using them they will last for years and years. My oldest one is 30 years old now with the original seals.
The PCP rifles are great but they involve too much extra stuff for a first time buyer and CO2 guns depend on your having CO2 when you need it and then there are the seals which never seem to last as long, maybe because of the temp extreams of CO2.
Good luck, this is the best I can do without knowing more about your specific needs.

Sam

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You know it's the right one when you decide on one and then starts asking everyone what's the bad of that one....then ignore anyone's advice and buy it anyways.

I've seen this over and over again on forums and posts.

Just send us a pic of what you got and we'll surely congratulate you on whatever you choose! A start is better than no start is my motto!

Congrats in advance!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Binford, I can tell you some downsides about HW's:
they twang some less some horribly
they have rattling cockinglinks (bb's)
they look boring; boring beech stockgrain, boring lines (except the HW98). The new chequering makes it a lót better, but it doesn't change the grain or lines.
they use normal screwdriver stockscrews..
blueing is less than Webley
loooooooooong trigger first stage...
Believe me, NO brand is perfect, HW isn't either. They ALL have up- and downs.
The ónly way to decide for yrsélf is to hold and féél an airgun yrself.
Here they all say the HW97 is thé rifle to buy. I don't like them. For reasons I wrote above ánd because they're nose heavy. Make up yr OWN mind. Every person is different, has different preferences (reg weight, balance, looks etc).
How to decide:
- what's the budget
- what's the use (hunting, target..)
- what do I like, do I prefer any type? pcp/springer, BB, underlever
If you don't know what you like, féél the different types yrself.
Now you know what type of airgun you want, for what use, for yr budget.
Now it's only upto taste I guess!:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one of the problems is the only place that sells them here is Walmart and they will not even let you take it out of the box. you ask the gun dealers about a Air rifle and they laugh at you. I have a safe full of rimfire but wanted something I don't have to worry about a bullet hitting somethig and going across the road and hitting a cow or house.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Some good advice, but one question?

How much are you looking to spend? If this were cars, are you looking for basic transportation or a Corvette?

If you are limited to only WalMart, the Beeman dual-barrel springer for about $130 is actually getting some positive reviews. No, it's not a German gun. Believe it's made in China. But, for wetting your feet, it may not be such a bad choice. And you get the option of two calibers.

For occasional, informal shooting, the Benjamin pneumatic pumps are hard to beat. Add a peep sight for about thirty dollars and they are accurate, too. You can do three pumps for indoors and more for pest control. Triggers are a bit stiff, you there are some after market fixes for those if you are inclined to tinker.

If you do get a springer and want to scope it, be sure to get an air-gun rated scope. The springer recoil is front/back, unlike a firearm, and many scopes are not built to take the whiplash. Don't want to put a decent firearm scope on the gun only to have it eat it.

Also, Google the airgun forums. Lots of experience there and your question gets asked often.

Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Benjamin pumper great first airgun

If you can't decide now, I suggest the Benjamin 392/397.

They're inexpensive NIB.
You can vary the power for indoors or outdoors with the number of pumps.
You'll be able to go from rimfire to air rifle with accuracy without going through the training period of how to accurately shoot a springer, especially with a magnum springer. It will give you the chance to see if you want to invest more into air rifles or go back to rimfire without a big investment.

Good luck & good shooting,
A.J.

·
Registered
152 Posts
tough call

The crosman discovery with pump in .22 is a cool idea wish the final product turned out like old sheridan but didnt. I sent mine back to Pyramid hoping they send a second. The rear sights are find but push against barrel with changes the horizontal adj. There's just a few things i didnt like but alot to like lol. PCPs are cool, provide hard hitting power, pump all at once. The bad you get a workout pumping, stock isnt quite up to snuf (mine). I think there's more to like however it also is light weight. Another option RWS 34 in .22 no brainer gun still have mine. Yellowforum.com has some good information

·
Registered
283 Posts
22jammer,

Check out this one at Sportsmans Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=418204

Baikal MP512M in .22 caliber.
Just got one a couple of weeks ago. Nice little gun and not too twangy for a low-budget springer. I've seen them on other sites for about $100 but for the $50 at Sportsmans Guide (+ $10 shipping) you can't beat it. I did an easy tune up on it (no spring compressor needed) and it is even smoother now.
OK, so it's Russian and not German. Russia is close to Germany, isn't it?
Russia is lot closer to Germany than China is. :)

Handyandy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Which Gun?

I don't know which gun either. Like crbliberty above, I bought a Benjamin Discovery with the more expensive adapter. Both failed during first use and I
have returned them to Pyramid (who was absolutely first class when I asked to return the items for credit) and I don't want another. I hope others have better success because the concept seems like a good one but, for me, I think for my shooting I'm going to get a 10 meter rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Handyandy -

I ordered a couple of those from Sportsman's as well. It is my first air rifle and I am looking forward to some fun times.

You mentioned "tune-up". As an air rifle noob, whatchutalkinbout?

Thanks

Al

·
Registered
283 Posts
Al-

The gun wasn't a bad shooter out of the box. Not much smoke and not too twangy, but I had read on the internet several places where tuning these guns was simple to do so I decided to give it a try.

Almost every springer benefits from a tune up. Even expensive ones as I've learned from reading airgun forums.

On the MP512M, the Russians forget to polish the ends of the spring. The spring winds up a bit when compressed and having the ends nice and smooth helps the spring do it's thing.
With the action out of the stock you need to drive out the pin at the rear of the tube that holds the trigger block in place. There is a little pin that locks the block in the tube. You need to twist the the block to the left a little to unlock it. Be careful here. There isn't much preload on the spring, but it will pop the block out if you aren't watching what you're doing. Once the trigger block is out the spring can be pulled out and then the piston. I used some Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber spray for synthetics to clean out the gunk.
Polish the ends of the spring. I used progressively finer sandpaper to do mine. Use a synthetic grease to lube the spring and guide and put it all back together
I read on another forum(http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns/category-view.asp) about how to all this. Do a search for "512M" and you'll find some good info on tinkering with this gun. It's not rocket science. This was the first springer tune I have ever done. If you have any mechanical ability you shouldn't have any trouble. Just take your time and keep track of all the parts. Oh, and don't screw the screws on the sides of the stock in as tight as they will go. I did that and the barrel wouldn't move when I tried to cock the gun. Once the screws are tight, back them off about a quarter to half a turn and the gun should be just fine. Grinding a little off the the ends of each screw would help, but I haven't done it yet.

Here's a photo I made comparing the action of the MP512M with that of an older Baikal rifle bought at a gun show awhile back. The older gun is on the bottom

Hope this helps and have fun with the new guns.
BTW, they seem to like the cheap Daisy wadcutters from Wally World.
Great little backyard fun gun. Cheap to own and cheap to feed.

Handyandy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info. It should be here this week and I have always disassembled and cleaned any firearm before I even think about loading it.

I will let you know how things turn out.

Al

·
Registered
68 Posts
GAMO CFX. Fixed barrel so it gives more accuracy and can push lead pellets at 1000 fps some times with light weight pellets but light weiat pellets arnt good in air rifles and nither are heavy so i use 7.9 Grain. the only thing is that gamos trigers are **** but your can buy a GTX Triger for 35 bucks and it makes a really good gun
GO gamo

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has arrived. A quick inspection and general cleaning. First shot was a bit low. Adjusted sights and put 5 in 3" circle at 30 feet freestanding. I am happy!!!!

And I was so proud, my daughter walked out back and asked what I was doing. I took my time, got some extra glasses and ear plugs and explained safety to her. 10 minutes later was her first shot. Missed bad. Next three hit the target. She giggled and wants to know when she can shoot again.

This weekend is going to be a 'pellet-o-rama'. Building a target box tonight and BIG backstop until she gets a bit better.

Father-daughter bonding. Awesome stuff and certainly worth more than the $60 or so I spent on the 512M.

I am hooked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.