Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a GM Bull barrel to my Charger. I had a very very hard time getting the barrel shank into the receiver- but I did get it done. Now.... I CANNOT GET IT OUT! Any helpful hints on removing the barrel?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do you have a strap wrench? I'd try that along with some CLP or Kroil - sort of like unscrewing it. You want the oil in there to pull it out so you don't damage anything. Then when you put it back in, make sure the barrel shank and receiver are free of oil. Then put a light coat of hi tech grease on it to keep that from happening again.

I have heard that GM barrels have to be sanded/polished down to fir the shank to the receiver. Please make sure it is before you put it back in.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
muzzle load

Need the barrel off? Pull the bullet on a .22 cartrige and stick the primed case in the chamber. Point muzzle toward sky and pour in a tablespoon of black powder. Then ..... oh, wait. You want to get the barrel off and still be able to use the rest of the gun with a different barrel? You want to keep all your fingers? Nevermind then. Forget everything I said.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try freezing the whole assembly overnight, and then heating the receiver with a heat gun. The difference in metals should allow the receiver to expand more rapidly than the barrel, thus making the hole larger.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Strip it down to receiver and barrel.

Wrap the barrel with a LOT of layers of duct tape to protect the finish. Use wide angle pliers or vise-grip to "unscrew".

Try the bolt slam technique first

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Similar problem with VQ.
If the bolt won't knock it loose, hold the barrel by hand and beat on the front bottom part of the receiver ( in front of the mag well area, behind the action screw area) with a plastic mallet.
I would strongly warn against the duct tape and pipe wrench method. If there are any little burrs, like in the extractor cut, you'll gall the receiver.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Alum vs steel

Aluminum expands much more than stainless or steel, So Id put the action end in the oven on at the lowest temp for about 15 min, probably with the oven door open. You can even add a few drops of oil while heating

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a similar problem yesterday...shot a little Kroil to the barrel/reciever junction...let it sit for @ 6 hours and heated the reciver SLIGHTLY with a hand held torch...barrel slipped right out.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
All you do is take the V-Block off, put the screws for the V-Block back in, set the V-Block against the screw heads with the V-Block in backwards. Now just unscrew the v-block screws and the v-block will press the barrel out. No need for screwing the barrel or soaking in Kroil.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had the same problem. After writing GM they told me the barrel shouldn't be that tight. So I mailed it to them. After they removed the barrel they machined it down to where it should of been. They said sorry but didn't re-emburse me for the postage.

Fred

·
Registered
22,045 Posts
in my xperience with my Charger, it was the "gunky" paint that got sprayed
into the rcvr.

against all advice here, i took some med sandpaper around a snug fitting
auto socket and lightly sanded that paint out, a little at a time, till i could
place the new bbl into the rcvr.

yea, ya never wanna sand the rcvr, but this Charger was caked with paint
from the factory. i coulda used paint stripper, but didn't have any.

no regrets, on my part, and am NOT advising anyone to do the same, just
what i did to mine,

Rico....

·
Registered
62 Posts
i coulda used paint stripper, but didn't have any.
Toilet bowl cleaner will do the job in a pinch. I forget the brand name.

I heat my receivers with 'the woman's' hair dryer. Barrels go in and out without much fuss.

·
Registered
142 Posts
All you do is take the V-Block off, put the screws for the V-Block back in, set the V-Block against the screw heads with the V-Block in backwards. Now just unscrew the v-block screws and the v-block will press the barrel out. No need for screwing the barrel or soaking in Kroil.
Thank You Gizzy!!!!!!
My Charger barrel was really stuck hard.... Dropping the slide to knock it loose did not work at all... Heated it up and used Kroil and then did your little trick and had to tap the big piece a little with a plastic hammer to go into the barrel grove but it all worked out well and could only turn the screws a tiny bit at a time and kept tapping the front of the barrel on the bench a wee bit to make it loose. It finally let go and there was indeed over spray paint in the barrel hole...

Thanks again for the great tip!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Aluminum expands much more than stainless or steel, So Id put the action end in the oven on at the lowest temp for about 15 min, probably with the oven door open. You can even add a few drops of oil while heating
Thought id chime in as what worked for me also. This is exactly what i did with my brand new 10/22 carbine i sprayed a little clp oil before putting the action end in oven with most of barrel sticking ing out of oven. I closed the oven door about 3/4 way and had oven at 400 for about 15 minutes. Put on oven mits an removed from oven and tapped on reciever while hoding barrel, was fairly easy and barrel was off with under a minute of tapping.
Thanks alot!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Mine fits quite tightly in my 10/22's receiver, if I need to get it out, the bolt-slam has always worked just fine for me. It might take a LOT of slams, though, usually 20-30 before it starts to move.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Probably for cleaning, it's a lot easier to handle the receiver to clean it without a barrel hanging on it. I also pop mine off from time to time for inspection purposes, just so I get get the barrel up to the light and get a really good look down it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.