Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this post in 17 Caliber, trying here too:

Finally got a fairly calm day and some more Hornady and Remington HMR ammo for the Fusion. After cleaning the gun and benchresting, using a flat benchrest guide in place of the picatinny rail, I’m still unfortunately getting disappointingly large groups from just a few at ¾” and most at between 1” and 2”, with a few at 2 ½”. There seems to be no difference between the two ammos. This is after about 500 rounds (200 today) through the gun. I doubt it could be copper fouling, since this gun is shooting the same since new.

Stabilizing the gun with a top quality rest seems to have had no effect. Should I not be getting tighter groups? Keeping on target on follow through with my Bushnell 4200 6-24X40 scope seems to indicate the bullets aren’t hitting where I’m aiming – except occasionally. Yes, everything is tight.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just a thought......

I had a scope "go bad" on me.

I turned the rifle upside-down, tapped on it and saw the reticles change position.

It'll drive ya crazy when the reticles "move" after every shot.

Try a different scope. At least, it'll eliminate one possibility.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ski, Thanks. I'll try it, though the scope is a very high quality 4200 and brand new with the gun. I have another 4200 on my Theoben pellet rifle that I know is good, so I'll try it and let you know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VQ Fusion still groups large

Well, reporting back after swapping from my Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x40 to my 4200 4-16x50 on the VQ Fusion 17. No improvement in groups -- still doing mostly 1" to 1 1/2" groups. %$#@@#$!!!
So now I'm sending it back to VQ so they can check it out. Sure hope it's not me!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It's a possibility that the rifle could be "defective". A "slim chance" but possible.

I sent a THM Carbon Fiber barrel back to them, to check out for me.

I asked Scott V. to be totally honest and tell me if it was me, the guy squeezing the trigger.

The barrel was defective (whew!) ;)

They gave me full credit for the barrel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ski, thanks, hopefully mine is too. But that would also be discouraging in a different sort of way. With the price of VQs, I wish they'd supply test targets w/their guns.

If this doesn't resolve, maybe I'll look at Coopers.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What happened with mine was that it shot perfectly, for the first 500 rnds. Than the chamber started to "open up" and get sloppy.

I think the steel was too soft for the Magnum Round. Probably no way to catch that problem with just a few "test" shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.