Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hello from a noob

1024 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Mrstrubluedog
I am new to this board. I traded in my old Mossberg shotgun as a down payment on a new lever action Henry. I have always been a big John Wayne fan and ever since I saw him in Rooster Cogburn with the reins in his teeth and wheeling that lever action while changing the bad guys I have always wanted a lever action gun. :cool: I looked at several and now I have it in layaway... I hope to have it out sometime over Labor Day weekend, and at least the first 50 rounds through it within the first hour. Any advice for a newby on anything I should or should not do? Cleaning? Ammo?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Hi, lever action fan

I too am from the Columbus area!

My Henry H001 likes most brands of ammo, mainly the cheap stuff, fortunately. I settled on Federal Champion though CCI Blazer worked as well, the Champion has less lube on it. I only clean the bore with an oiled patch as it gets no leading, only powder fouling and lube buildup. The owner's manual says the gun is not made to be disassembled for cleaning so I take them at their word. I have a gunsmith do most of my work that requires disassembly anyway. There are many people in this forum who can tell you how to work on yours if you are more mechanically inclined than I am.:p

You will find the action butter smooth right out of the box. The trigger is also very good.

I put a 4x32 BSA scope on mine (25 bux from Sportsman's Guide) for squirrels. I shot it yesterday and though I shot poorly myself the gun still made one inch groups at 50 yards. People who are better shots (with less tremor, etc.) could do better. Shooting offhand I have done 4 inch groups at 100 yards.

I shoot at Deer Creek, maybe we could get together some day. There are many lever action fans down there. Private Message me if you are interested. :cool:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Husband is into Mosin's and SKS's. He and a few of his friends like to go down to Miller's Camp Grounds and Shooting Range. We are all members of the All Ohio Ammo Wasters Assoc. (AOAWA) It is a small club of nuts who like to waste ammo on things like pop cans and things, plinking. :AR15firin They like shooting at about 150 to 200 yds. I would love to get together sometime and hanging out. Don't feel bad I am still a work in progress when it comes to hitting what I am at unless I am mad. :D

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Mrstrubluedog,

Welcome aboard. :D

You picked a good starting place for a rifle. A Henry H001L, "Lever Carbine", was my choice as a first rifle (when I was 36 years old). It is an excellent rifle, and it is still my favorite. The action is smooth, and the rifle is 100% reliable. I, too, shoot whatever is the cheapest. Usually Academy Sports & Outdoors has some kind of Federal .22LR ammo in the $7.00-to- $10.00 range/ 500 round brick. Super Colibris are great for plinking in my back yard. They contain no gunpowder, and are very quiet. :t

When you get your Henry, inspect it, then clean it. Get all of the factory grease out of it. Check it for machining "crumbs", and general dirt. After that, lightly lubricate, then shoot it. When you're done shooting it, clean it, lubricate it, etc.. It will give you many years of good service.

In case you aren't aware, the Henry H001-series rifle is based on a thirty-plus-year-old design. The barrel is steel, the lever is steel, the wood is walnut, the guts are steel, and the reciever is ALUMINUM ALOY. There is a serious lack of knowledge on the part of some "shooters". They may never have picked up a modern Henry, and then they continue to say it is a "potmetal" or "zinc" piece of junk. Aluminum appears nowhere in their vocabulary, when thinking of the Henry. I believe the propogation of this eronious information causes some new buyers to hesitate.

As I understand it, the H001 design goes back at least 33 years. Anthony Imperato, the president of Hnery R.A.C., told me his father designed the rifle. Originally, Erma Werke of Germany manufactured it under contract with Ithaca Gun Company. Ithaca sold it as the Model 72. Erma sold it as the EG712. 1970s vintage Erma EG712:

Later on, Iver-Johnson sold a version of the 72 that they called "The Wagonmaster". In my Internet searches, I have come across a minor reference to a company called EXCAM. It appears they were an American company that sold imported guns. They may have also sold an edition of the Erma-built rifle, but I can find little on EXCAM. Today, Henry R.A.C. sells that same rifle, with few, if any, changes. Mr. Imperato told me that overseas manufacturing costs became prohibitive, so, at some time, years ago, production was moved to the U.S.A.. If you can find any of these old rifles for sale, they usually are advertised for at least $100.00 more than a new Henry costs.

...in summary:

You made a good choice. Take care of it, and your new Henry will last for many years. :t

Good shooting! :AR15firin
BigLoop22

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Big Loop for all the great advice. I had hope to be able to get my Henry out of the layaway labor day weekend but a few things have come up and it looks like I am going to have to wait another couple of weeks after that. :( :rolleyes: :sad: But I know it is worth it and a few more days won't kill me... I think... :( I hope... :hide:

· Registered
597 Posts
Thumbs up on the Henry...

I bought a Henry 001 a few years ago and i really enjoyed it. the action worked as smooth as wet ice, and was very accurate out of the box with CCI HP's. i had bought it as a companion for a Heritage .22 revolver to fill out my longing for some cowboy guns. I liked the Henry cause it was light and could carry it all day and not get worn out.

I did take it apart once & got it back together ok, its not too hard, and im not very competent. probably wouldnt take it apart too much, maybe every 2 years or so. i really recommend cleaning the barrel with a bore snake instead of a rod for muzzle integrity.

I have since picked up a ruger single six and a marlin 39A as my "cowboy guns" and have given the Henry and the Heritage to my dad for him to enjoy. I must admit, there are times i really miss that henry, but am glad my dad has a quality gun to enjoy from time to time.

The only thing with the henry is that the reciever can get scratched and show the aluminum through, for that, i got one of those Birchwood/Casey black paint pens to cover it up. Dont worry about the plastic barrel band, it'll last a really long time, and the wood is always wonderful. Oh, and by the way, if you can, save up for a while to get the Large Loop Lever, those things look so cool!!!!!!

I am thinking of selling one of my guns and picking up the Henry Golden Boy in LR or Magnum, the Henrys are quality guns made by a quality company. Good luck and good shooting! -Eric

PS. if you like to get a old west outfit, the Heritage revolvers are pretty cool, i had the birds head handle model, it fit great! i wish i could put one on my ruger. but, the heritages' go for about $120-$200 depending on the model and maybe under $100 if you find one used at a gun show!

· Registered
711 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mrstrubluedog!

As a way of introduction...... just take a look at the Henry online catalog. I'm the guy wearing the orange Henry shirt, cheesing it up. :rolleyes: (I have to mention that every year or so)

As I posted before many times, I just can't see you going wrong with a Henry. Great American company, and from my experiences, wonderful to deal with.

My next one will be the pump or the Magnum.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all of your great advice. Hubby said I am going to be able to get it this weekend... :yippee: I can't wait! :1luvu: :beerchug: He said we will be able to go to the range and shoot it too!!! :yippee: WOO HOO!!
Sorry I have not been on lately but it is hard to get on to the site when he is hogging the puter all the time!!!! :smashfrea :whistle:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!! :yippee: :1luvu: :2p
Now I just need to find time to go to the range... :( :boohoo: :dogrun:
Between the kids, kids going to school, Housework, two dogs, a new kitten that the dogs thinks is a new chew toy... (Or is that the kitten thinks the dogs as a new scratching post? ) I have had little to no time to make it to the range.
I am still hopeful to have the money to run to PA this weekend to see some friends and go shooting with them. That is if the insulation fairy comes through for the attic. :angel: :heartpump I can dream right?
I brought it home and gave it it's frist cleaning and wipe down with some help of my sweet loving paitent hubby's guidance.
I will let you know how I do with a full range report ASAP.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wooo hooo !!! I got to shoot my Henny today and I am in love!!!! :heartpump I came out to my friends in PA and they live out in the middle of BFE, Ok you can see it from here.
I went out back, loaded up about 10 rounds, and shot at a target at about 20 to 25 feet. It hit right on and felt great in my hands. :Blasting_
:1p :2p :beerchug: :yippee:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.