Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hello all, new here and have a few questions . . .

466 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Crash5291
a good fellow over on CGN pointed me in this direction and after spending looking through a few theads i'm quite impresed to see the amout of helpfullness is great, alike CGN :)

anyways to the point ;)

i have a 352KA that is seeming quite inacurate, but i dont want to write it off yet, as i need to pick up a few differnt types of ammo to try out. im hoping that it just dosent care much for what i have now Federal HVHP 36gr bulk stuff

after a thourogh cleaning i preceded to see what she would do, prone with a very heavy blanket as a rest and about 1 1/2 min between shots my i got a 5 shot group of 3 3/4" at 25 yard with 3 shots within 5/8" (1, 2, and 4 i belive) the wind was non existant temp outside was about 30*c and huidity about 70% i guess
now would the temp have that much of an effect upon the acuracy, as it seems quite awful for only 25 yards to me

for all you 352 owners what kind of munitions dose your mossy like best?

Joe
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
My Model 152 isn't exactly a tack driver, but it'll shoot an inch at 50 yards. It does even better with CCI Greentag, but that's way too spendy for plinking!
I find Winchester Dynapoint about the best bulk ammo, in general. All my Mossys like it.
What kind of scope are you using, if at all? You might need better glass or a better mount.

· Registered
210 Posts
Crash-Welcome aboard! I agree with Bigdog-make sure scope and mounts are tight .Your mossy should shoot better than that.Even the semis show surprising accuracy.Also check your bedding.Its possible that stock screw has been over-tightened and barrel-receiver will now rock in stock.If all else fails send it to me for disposal(I will even pay postage).Keep us posted on your progress-Good luck and good shooting, Bruce H

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigdog said:
My Model 152 isn't exactly a tack driver, but it'll shoot an inch at 50 yards. It does even better with CCI Greentag, but that's way too spendy for plinking!
I find Winchester Dynapoint about the best bulk ammo, in general. All my Mossys like it.
What kind of scope are you using, if at all? You might need better glass or a better mount.
Ok Thanks for your input, i do have a cheap scope but havent tryed it yet since its so wild with iron sights i figure sighting the scope in would make for a real pain its a Crosman 4x32 (model 4032)

barbr-b said:
Crash-Welcome aboard! I agree with Bigdog-make sure scope and mounts are tight .Your mossy should shoot better than that.Even the semis show surprising accuracy.Also check your bedding.Its possible that stock screw has been over-tightened and barrel-receiver will now rock in stock.If all else fails send it to me for disposal(I will even pay postage).Keep us posted on your progress-Good luck and good shooting, Bruce H
Thanks, i will check what you mentioned, as for disposal sorry its with me for life was my pased grandfathers gun and one of the few things i have that was his :)

i will keep yall posted for sure.
Joe

· Registered
543 Posts
Greetings Crash5291 Glad to see you here! :D
Wait until you see how many Mossys these folks have. :eek:

BTW: Both of my Mossys hate Dynadud ammo...I'd buy a small box at a time of all sorts of ammo, and see what works best.

Something must be up...as your Mossy should be way more accurate then that. Hmmm?

Cheers!
H.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright,

the take down screw was lose as in finger tight my fault for sure

so i slaped on the scope and printed of a Pdog 7 traget

5 shots in 2 3/4" group
4 shots in 7/8" group with 1 and 4 in the same hole
barrel had ample cool down time as after each shot i went to target and stuffed the spent brass into the bullet hole to make noticing a double easy and shot 4 went through shot 1's hole i think i may be at fault for the large expantion on shot 5 simce the rest are under an inch but im not sure
range was 15 yards, ammo is federal 36 grain High Velocity Hollow points lot 4BX321
temp was 28.1*C (82.8*F) wind non existant

· Registered
543 Posts
Yah check for damage, as at 15 yards I'd expect way better results from your rifle. Could be something real simple.

Like today I had on of my stock screws too tight. Loosened it up to 'light hand tight' and all was better. I find it is the small things in these rifles that make the diff.

Have you take it apart yet?

Cheers!
H.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will check the crown, and try adjusting the stock screw tenion

i have had it fully striped including trigger and cleaned, oiled and reasembled (what a pain the trigger spring was to get back in) that was the second last cleaning i did, last time i just pulled the bolt and cleaned up the residew stuck in the oil, next cleaning will be a full tear down (likely aside from the trigger)

Joe

· Registered
274 Posts
Assuming a couple of things: your bore is good and clear and clean, rifling is good, no bad pitting or other defects like barrel rings, or bent tubes; and: you can shoot better than this with other rifles [don't laugh, some guys shoot much worse, and it's THEM, not the gun!] NO insult intended :)
Then, I'd first suspect the 'scope. It is a cheapie, and much could be blamed on that alone.
Second, I'd wonder about how the barrel and action is seated in the stock. Sometimes a little thing like a tiny wood chip in the wrong corner of the bedding can make a rifle shoot way off.
Your groups are showing 'flyers'. That is, you aren't scattered all over, there are signs that the rifle wants to shoot. That's encouraging. It means SOMEthing, not gremlins, is causing the inaccuracy.
Check the things I've mentioned. Get rid of that Crosman BB gun 'scope. At 50 feet, irons are just about as accurate. Try some different brands and types of ammo, too.
I'd take more care with the rest, too. A rolled-up blanket isn't as solid a support as it sounds. Try shooting by bracing your hand on the blanket, and the gun in your hand, as in off-hand shooting. Hold the gun the same way for the entire string of shots. Most light rifles shoot better with braced human support than they do off a strict sandbag rest, in my experience.
Hope this makes sense, and helps.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slabsides said:
Assuming a couple of things: your bore is good and clear and clean, rifling is good, no bad pitting or other defects like barrel rings, or bent tubes; and: you can shoot better than this with other rifles [don't laugh, some guys shoot much worse, and it's THEM, not the gun!] NO insult intended :)
no actualy i havent shot anything that had the ability to be acurate. but i will be putting a few shots through a Shurshot Single shot (bought in 1954-55)

Then, I'd first suspect the 'scope. It is a cheapie, and much could be blamed on that alone.
Second, I'd wonder about how the barrel and action is seated in the stock. Sometimes a little thing like a tiny wood chip in the wrong corner of the bedding can make a rifle shoot way off.
Your groups are showing 'flyers'. That is, you aren't scattered all over, there are signs that the rifle wants to shoot. That's encouraging. It means SOMEthing, not gremlins, is causing the inaccuracy.
Check the things I've mentioned. Get rid of that Crosman BB gun 'scope. At 50 feet, irons are just about as accurate. Try some different brands and types of ammo, too.
I'd take more care with the rest, too. A rolled-up blanket isn't as solid a support as it sounds. Try shooting by bracing your hand on the blanket, and the gun in your hand, as in off-hand shooting. Hold the gun the same way for the entire string of shots. Most light rifles shoot better with braced human support than they do off a strict sandbag rest, in my experience.
Hope this makes sense, and helps.
the 15 yards is me being lazy and not going out back to where i can shoot at longer distances

i poped a few into another target yesterday from a sandbag (ziploc filled with sand) rest actualy thats what i shot the target i posted up from.

bought some more rounds tonight i now have
CCI Blazer (40gr)
CCI Stinger (31Gr )
Winchester Wildcat 22 (40gr)
Winchester Super X (40gr)
Federal Game-shok (38gr)
American Eagle (38gr) the look exactly like the Fed. stuff

thats one lot of every thing the store had aside from some .22lr Bird shot but i wasn't paying 12 bucks for a box of that

i will be able to test all these out in the am if its not raining.

oh i read in another post about the newer semications (has a 60 in the model name) shouldn't be fed hyper velocity ammo, that makes me wonder if any of the rounds above would be a little hot for the 352KA?

Joe

· Registered
10,857 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

:D I find most of my Mosseys like the std vel. stuff better. Then the bulk of them were made b/4 all the hype on HV 22 ammo . std brand target ammo seems to do well for me. don't over oil , it just collects more dirt and cause more wear. Post back with your tests.-Regards,--Jim-- :t

· Registered
543 Posts
Also I forgot to add CCI Stingers get their Hi Velocity (approx 1600fps) by having a smaller projectile, and slightly more powder, which is why their cases are slightly longer then a regular LR case. Have a peek at them, and compare with another round...kind'a neat.

My Mossys love them, but I do find they tend to go a little high with my rifles.

Cheers!
H.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't worry about the hyper-vel ammo in a Mossy - it's solid steel! A good buffer type of recoil spring too. It's a much more robust design than the Marlin Model 60 with it's tiny recoil spring and aluminum receiver.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bigdog said:
Don't worry about the hyper-vel ammo in a Mossy - it's solid steel! A good buffer type of recoil spring too. It's a much more robust design than the Marlin Model 60 with it's tiny recoil spring and aluminum receiver.
Ok good to hear :t

a few more rounds down range

10:30AM
352KA Mossy with scope
80% Humidity
87*F/30.6*C
Winchester Wildcat 22
5 shots
no wind
40 yards
Prone with hand suport
5 Round group 2 3/4" (first shot was higher then rest)
4 round group 1 3/8"
3 round group 7/8"

3PM
Sureshot Single Shot with iron sights
80% Humidity
30*C
5 shots fired
~2 mph wind from the right
25 yards
prone with hand support
5 shot group 1 3/4"
3 shot group 3/4"

3:50PM
Sureshot Single Shot with iron sights
80% humidity
27*C
5 shots fired
no wind
25 yards
Prone with sandbag rest
5 shot grop 1 3/4"
3 shot group 15/16"

wow that bolt action sure makes the 352KA sound like a canon lol it so freeking quite

ya i noticed that the stingers brass was longer i love the case they are in too

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.