·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Sinclair sells it.

But, what is it?
Is it a very fine silica sand?
How much heavier is it?
Has anyone found a substitute that can be easily obtained locally?

FWIW, I'm currently using the sand that comes in 50# bag from Lowes. I strain it a couple times and then bake it make sure it's dry. It's worked well, but I wonder if the heavier stuff is that much better. My plan would be to only change the sand out in the base, and leave the Lowes stuff in the ears.

Sinclair says their 15# box will fill a rear bag with a little left over. They don't say which bag, but if I can get 10+ lbs into my protektor rabbit ear bag, I'd be tickled. I think my bag currently weighs between 5-6lbs.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Weights

Sinclair says their 15# box will fill a rear bag with a little left over. They don't say which bag, but if I can get 10+ lbs into my protektor rabbit ear bag, I'd be tickled. I think my bag currently weighs between 5-6lbs.

Thanks!!
Sinclair's sand will fill ANY Protektor w/ some left over. My Heavy Base bunny ear weighs 9# 4 and my rabbit ear bag w/ plain sand weighs 4# 11 making the heavy sand nearly twice the weight.

HTH

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi FREY,
Heavy sand is Zicron.It is about twice the weight of any other sand.
It is called commerically Black Beauty.
It can be purchased locally at the local sand blasting service.In fact bring a bucket and sweep up the floor,he'll probably give it to you for free.
Tom R

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi FREY,
Heavy sand is Zicron.It is about twice the weight of any other sand.
It is called commerically Black Beauty.
It can be purchased locally at the local sand blasting service.In fact bring a bucket and sweep up the floor,he'll probably give it to you for free.
Tom R
Good deal. Thanks Tom!!

I sort of struck out trying to find a sandblaster in my part of the world today, but did find a source for Black Beauty.

Northern Tool appears to carry it in 25# buckets for $14.99. What I can't tell is which grade it is. But it is a good excuse to wander over there and check out all the tool stuff.

Racer...all I could find for hematite was some fancy looking stones made into jewelry. Heavy and magnetic sound great, but I'm guessing it could be difficult to find in a sand form locally.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Another option, not quite as heavy as Black Beauty, but way more available is a bag of "Reptile Sand" from a pet store. Very fine, very heavy, and very dry as received.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yes, the heavy sand from Sinclairs is either magnetite or hematite, and is an iron oxide black sand. The iron is what makes it heavy, instead of silicone. The specific gravity of black heavy sand is heavier than zircon, but zircon would be fine, too. Either are much heavier than quartz reptile sand or other silicone sand.

Is it worth the hassle? All my rear bags have it. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, myself.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I use something that Home Depot carries:

Sakcrete brand Natural Play Sand, screened and washed, fine sand.

It's super fine, very clean and is ~$5 for a half cubic foot bag. That's way more than you need. It is not the heavy sand though. It seems very similar to the reptile sand I have seen. It goes into the Protektor bags easily using a turkey baster as a funnel. I dried it out thoroughly before loading up the bags.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
The specific gravity of black heavy sand is heavier than zircon, but zircon would be fine, too. Either are much heavier than quartz reptile sand or other silicone sand.

Is it worth the hassle? All my rear bags have it. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, myself.
The size of the bag comes into play too. A larger bag gives you a bit of wiggle room on the type of sand used. The quality of the bag is WAY more important too. The bottom of the bag must be STIFF! Those flimsey bags are worthless.

The funnel is from Auto Zone. Reptile sand is from PetSmart.

As Ben says: Is paying the extra $$$ for the the Black Beauty worth it? I've taken enough of the other fellow's $$ @ matches w/ Reptile Sand in my bags to say it's better to invest in a pricy set of wind flags then Black Beauty sand.

The wind is what jams me up @ a match!

OK you wise-acres, No stiff jokes!

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I use the reptile sand as well and it works fine. What I find is that my rear protector bag will start to bow out with the weight of the sand. And I have the $65.00 bag. I would think that the real heavy stuff would bow it out even more. I mean how heavy does it have to be?? The rear bag is where I make all my sighting adjustments...squeezing, moving left, moving right etc.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I use the reptile sand as well and it works fine. What I find is that my rear protector bag will start to bow out with the weight of the sand. And I have the $65.00 bag. I would think that the real heavy stuff would bow it out even more. I mean how heavy does it have to be?
You're right about some bags bowing out. Here's a pic I took @ the range. This fellow is using a cheap leather bag branded by a large, well known mail order / Internet based company. it's filled all right! :eek:

Can you say: Rock-A-By-Baby ? :D

Her's my setup, a proper rear bag. :bthumb:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have heard some people mix the sand with copper BBs to make them heavier havs anyone here had any experience with this ?
If you really want heavy, mix it with some #8 or #9 lead shot. But at the price of lead shot these days, it is probably cheaper to buy the heavy sand.

However, if you shoot in matches, check the rules to see if lead shoot is allowed.

Earl

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I say just go buy some cheep friggin sand, make sure its dry and call it a day. My back rest is filled with reptile sand and it pretty heavy, heavy enough that it aint goin anywhere. I personally dont think the bags, even the expensive Protector bags can support anything heavier than regular sand. Mine is starting to bow out as it is.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I say just go buy some cheep friggin sand, make sure its dry and call it a day. My back rest is filled with reptile sand and it pretty heavy, heavy enough that it aint goin anywhere. I personally dont think the bags, even the expensive Protector bags can support anything heavier than regular sand. Mine is starting to bow out as it is.
You are right about that. Protektor makes a heavy wall bag that helps prevent that, but if using the regular bag, I would probably just use regular sand for that reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.