Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a nice gun, but the action didn't seem much different than my Savage and the stock didn't seem much different. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice gun, but it was selling for over $800.

I really didn't see how it was worth $550-$600 more than what the Savages and Marlins are going for. Maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Handled" does not = "experienced." Use one at the range before making assumptions :t Because if you're trying to generalize between the two brands as a whole (since you don't mention model numbers) well, the record books certainly are in Anschutz' favor, don't ya think ;)

Myself, having shot both Anschutz and Savage (and even a couple of Marlins) I'd say there is definitely a BIG difference in handling and performance between out of the box guns. But, at $200, the Savage makes a pretty decent platform to build around, assuming you get a barrel that can shoot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, you are absolutely right, I never shot the Anschutz. My Savage shoots great. I'm happy with it and I don't see me shooting any better with the Anschutz. If I was a competitive shooter though, it would probably be a different story.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Gmountain said:
My Savage shoots great. I'm happy with it
My Savage 17hmr shoots great too and I'm pretty happy with it for what it costs. Once in a while it (we) will produce a great group like it (we) did this past Sunday. Put 5 rounds completely inside the 9 ring on a USBR target at 50 yards. But as a rule it (we) doesn't shoot quite that well "all day long" :D . But this past Sunday I got the chance to shoot a Winchester 52D and a Remington 40X. And I've shot a Cooper Classic before. They really got me lusting for another rifle because they kept stacking bullets darn near right on top of each other. If you were a compeditive shooter there would be no "probably" about it :p . My problem is that my checkbook doesn't dictate another rifle of any kind right now but some day................ ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Here is my 2 cents

Look, in my 43 years on this Earth, I have owned and shot so many 22 rifles and handguns, that I honestly have to look through the Shooters Bible to remember some that have passed through my hands in the past. I bet I've had over 40 different .22's in my lifetime, maybe more.

I have an Anschutz 1416 D KL that cost me $650 just recently. I also have a Remington 581 from the 1970's.

With the Trigger job done on my 581, it will actually shoot side-by-side with my Anschutz, even JUST slightly better with some ammo, and I love the 580 series guns. My 581 has a birch stock, plastic magazines, plastic covering over the rear sight area, came with a nearly 6lbs trigger pull originally, no checkering whatsoever, etc, etc, but............................

There are some real points to consider here.

First, it has been my experience that MANY 22's are actually more accurate than their owners can shoot them! Myself, most definitely included, by the way!

There are MANY old Winchester's and Remington bolt gun, .22's that will honestly shoot just about as well as SOME Anschutz's. BUT, bear in mind that Anschutz rifles tend to be CONSISTENTLY accurate, right out of the box.

I didn't buy my Anschutz 1416 in order to shoot aspirin tablets at 100 yards, anyway!

I bought my Anschutz because I was SICK AND TIRED of all the little "cheapie" shortcuts that almost all the other 22 rifle Manufacturers now take in order to save a dollar here and a dollar there.

The Anschutz 1416 that I own, is made of WALNUT. It has CUT CHECKERING which is PRECISE. It is perfectly polished and BLUED. It has a 5 round STEEL MAGAZINE, not plastic. It has QUALITY IRON SIGHTS, not junk sheet metal. The bolt is machined very smoothly and it operates SMOOTHLY and flawlessly. When you chamber a round from the magazine, the cartridge goes into the chamber with absolute PRECISION, no "catching" or "jumping" of the round. It requires some effort to completly CLOSE the bolt with some rounds, because the CHAMBER DIMENSIONS ARE VERY TIGHT AND PRECISE. It came from the factory with a 2.2 lbs trigger pull that is CRISP as can be. The safety button, whether moving to the ON or the OFF position, is a VERY positive, precise, movement, unlike so many other safeties that feel somewhat "spongy." The bolt itself, can be disassembled by HAND, for easy cleaning. The BALANCE of the Anschutz is just right. It has enough WEIGHT to it, to make it feel "solid" but not ridiculously overweight.

I guess the bottom line is this. In all honesty, I think my Remington 581 is a top-notch "game-getter" for hunting and plinking, and is a SUPERB value, especially for the guy on a budget, that wants a quality, accurate, .22 rifle. My guess is that your Savage is probably in that same category.

BUT,............You cannot compare the "build quality" and tight tolerances of the Anschutz to guns like the current Savage or Remingtons. It's like comparing a top of the line Hyundai to a top of the line BMW. Both can be EXTREMELY reliable and efficient from..............."A PRACTICAL STANDPOINT" but there is no question as to which one of the two, has had the ultimate attention to ALL DETAILS in the completely manufactured product.

If you're a HUNTER only, and solid accuracy for small game hunting is really your only concern, then YOU ARE RIGHT. There are LOTS of 22's that will fill the bill just perfectly, honestly. No need for anything more.

But, if you are getting on in years, and want JUST ONE GUN, that is RIGHT FROM THE START in all respects of functioning and accuracy and aesthetics and overall perfection...............and if you are TIRED of always having to have this or that "tweaked" just to get things right,.....................

Then you are ready to buy an Anschutz. It is a ONE TIME purchase that can be owned and shot with PRIDE for a LIFETIME, without need for upgrading, etc.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You are right, Gmountain.

Simply put, it's called "The law of diminishing returns" whereby there is a "point" at which, you have to pay an inordinately higher price, in order to advance to those last upper-quality categories.

ie, my Anschutz is, in my opinion, a little bit better than a CZ452. Maybe not more accurate, but overall total quality, a little bit better, and definitely a better trigger. BUT,......is it really worth the difference in price of nearly $300? For most people, probably not, but for myself, I wanted EVERYTHING right from the start, and I wanted ONE LUXURY 22 bolt action to own for the rest of my lifetime, period. No, I don't think it's worth $300 more than, say, a CZ 452, maybe more like $125 more than the CZ, but what can you do? You pay your money, you take your chances.

Too me, the CZ452 at about $340 or so is a VERY good 22 bolt, but I have ALWAYS had to settle for "almost" what I really wanted to get...............................and just this once, I decided to splurge, and go for the gusto!

Like I said, there are MANY good 22's out there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.