Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Handguard to go with Hogue Overmolded stock?

532 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  BigMattXXL
I've decided to switch out my standard Ruger wood stock with one of the synthetic Hogue overmolded jobs. I also want to put on a ventilated handguard (like the one made by Eagle) for looks, but the installation doesn't seem right - Eagle says you have to drill 4 holes in the stock to mount the handguard, but it seems to me like I wouldn't be able to remove the trigger/barrel assembly for cleaning without removing the handguard first. Over time, the screw holes would become stripped. Are there any good alernatives? I really want the Hogue stock because we've been laying my rifle down at the range, and my friend's .45 shells have been landing on it, so the stock has all these little nicks and dings in it. I'm thinking that a plastic/rubbery material would pretty much absorb the impact and look "new" for a while. I want the handguard because it looks good and pretty unique. Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

XXL
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
You might look at hardware stores for some small threaded inserts. I don't know how much material is available on the sides of the Hogue OM stock, but you should be able to find some fairly small inserts. Most inserts are usually a pressure fit or may even a ring-shank-type finish on the outside of the sleeve. You can always cement the inserts in with epoxy or a contact cement.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
I had a metal handguard on my old factory Ruger 10/22 when I was a kid. That seems like many years ago. I refinished the stock in a dark spanish walnut stain. I did not ever strip the wood, but I did have to use slightly larger screws than the ones that came with the handguard. Maybe I didn't clean it enough back then. I thought it did look pretty cool.

Is there enuf material on the Hogue to screw it in to?

(I paid $100.00 used for the gun and sold it at an auction and it brought $185.00. I checked to see whether a kid or grown up had bought the gun. Had it been a kid, was going to refund $85.00 to them, but it was a grown up. Probably should have refunded them the money anyway.)

Take care, Macc

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr

I think I might just take the risk ($15) and order it up. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit. I'll post pics. My Hogue OM stock is on the way - the gun's going to be entirely black - BADASS!

XXL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.