Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planing on buying a VQ hammer, since I was gona replace it anyway, I figured what the hell and cleaned mine up. To my amazment its now a wonderful trigger! Passed all the saftey tests with ease. anyway enough gloating. I just worked on hammer and left the other parts alone, I simply took my girlfriends emory board and polished everything smoothe and flatened out the lip a bit. then buffed it smoothe. I would say I took much less than a biz card thickness of metal off, do I need to re-harden it? I cant imagine I do, but since it came so nice, Id like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
re-hardening would be a nice touch, but I don't think you'd have to worry about it too much.
I did trigger work on my own hammer and haven't had any problems or visual wear after maybe 600-700 rounds.

BTW, you shouldn't say your trigger works til you bring it to the range;)
A lot of us have worked our own and thought we had great triggers. They will pass the safety tests, but a common problem is the hammer will not reset even though the bolt cycles. You end up with a problem as little as the hammer not resetting or as potentially dangerous/illegal as a full auto.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
I'd be extremely surprised if you went through the hardening. There are a LOT of home brew trigger jobs out there, and I don't remember even ONE case of someone saying theirs gave up because of softness.

Hope she shoots as good as you say it feels.

Ron

·
Registered
341 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think Ruger's hammer and sear are through hardened rather than surface hardened.

I've stoned down a handful of each and actually tested two or three on a durometer. Since so little steel needs to come off it is hard to judge, but the hardness doesn't seem to change. It might be a good deep case job but I tend to think they just oven harden them.

Unless you get one hot enough to change the color of the steel you shouldn't need to do anything to it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, just spent a few minuites with a emory board and a small file, no heat build up to speak of, Went to the range and put 1/2 a brick through it. No trigger problems to speak of thank goodness. I guess I can do the funkey chicken now! Im really pleased with the way it came, a little heavier and rougher than my cz thst has a great 2lb trigger. but light years better than the way it was, Mostly just cleaned the surfaces up. I think if I go through enough pens, I may even find a spring and make it better. Im getting a lot of jams though, its the first time Ive used this action, Ill have to figure it out next time im on the range. Thanks for your help fellas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.