Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Had the little HM2 out yesterday.

1433 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  gonkulator
My family always get together for a easter shoot and after they busted clays(birds are safe with me holding a shotgun). Cleanup of left over clays in the field always consists of plinking away. The brother inlaw pulled out his HMR and I used my Savage 17HM2. "I'll take the long shots" he says. Kinda funny, ranging out to 150 yards and he had no advantage. Well I should say he made allot more noise and cost twice as much to do it. ;) It was all fun and he now has a new found respect for the little one. :rolleyes: Oh ya, he missed the blackbird that foulishly came in' I did not.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Love my little HM2! After all, I think the HM2 has the same power as the HMR does at 65 yds or so, plenty of juice left for the small varmints. I am a convert and use the HM2 for small game most of the time over a 22, and there are several die-hard squirrel hunters here on RFC that agree with me.

The HMR seems to steal most of this little guy's thunder, but it always has a place with my hunting battery of rifles.

· Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 223 AR for bigger stuff but I'm thinking I need a 17 Hornet or 17 mach4. I've quite fond of fast and explosive. Also seeing the hits is the best for me.

· Registered
500 Posts
Hey "nodak", I almost choked on my gulp of coffee when I read your line about your brother-in-law and his .17HMR...."he made allot more noise and cost twice as much to do it". Now that is funny, but it's true. You have to feel sorry for those that have never experienced how great this little .17HM2 round is. It's true, you get to shoot about twice as much for the same cost of .17HMR ammo. In my opinion, the .17HM2 is the perfect squirrel round. The .17HMR is just too much for squirrels and other close range small game and it's not enough for long range varmints. For this I get my .223 out. I see no practical use for the .17HMR.

· Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HM2 is a small game round. I can only guess how the poor black bird turned out. No black bird pie for dinner I'm sure. You should see what 17-222 does to crows. No crow pie either, just a cloud of feathers.
Didn't get a pic but at 25yrds it was missing it's head. Kinda like popping the head off a dandelion. :snipersmi

· Registered
628 Posts
I was out-of-town yesterday, stopped by a gun shop, and asked to see anything they had in a .17 Mach2. "Oh, we can't get those anymore. They quit making them. We do have some . 17 HMRs that a lot of guys are going to." I didn't say anything, thankful that I already had a CZ 452 varmint in .17 Mach2, my go-to tree squirrel gun. It would seem that in these days of economic malaise that it would be the perfect time to re-introduce the more cost efficient . 17 caliber rimfire cartridge. But...they'd probably say "Been there, done that".

· Registered
845 Posts
I have a 223 AR for bigger stuff but I'm thinking I need a 17 Hornet or 17 mach4. I've quite fond of fast and explosive. Also seeing the hits is the best for me.
Well, I now have a .22 Hornet and a .204. I can reload the Hornet with 35 or 40 gr Vmax cheaper than buying 17HMR. And for anything else there's the 17Mach2. Thought about the 17 Hornet but got the .204 instead.

· Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 204 is sweet and pulls to me as well but I like the odd ball sometime. I've got a friend that built a 22-243 that just plain screams

· Registered
60 Posts
17 hornet

Well, I now have a .22 Hornet and a .204. I can reload the Hornet with 35 or 40 gr Vmax cheaper than buying 17HMR. And for anything else there's the 17Mach2. Thought about the 17 Hornet but got the .204 instead.
Blazer's brother will get the 17 hornet when ruger comes out with one :bthumb: and it doesn't hurt
that Blazer's brother also has a .223 national match that he can shoot anytime :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.