Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Walmart and checked one out. The forearm moved back and forth about 1/4 inch. Is this common? Are metal barrel bands and sights available? How much? Are they easy to change. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
beachbreak,

The forearm on my H001L moves a little, too. I will not try to tighten it, as it is not bothering me.

Metal barrel bands, and a metal sight, are available from Henry. They cost about $20.00 total, plus shipping.

Are they easy to change? Well, the rear band is not a problem. You may have to remove the sight hood to get it off, though. The front band is part of the front sight. It should be a matter of just removing its retaining screw, and removing the inner magazine tube, to change the front band & sight. Assembly is in reverse order.

I still have my original sight & bands. I see no need to change them. They work fine, for me. ;)

If you buy an H001-series rifle, then you can look forward to many years of great shooting fun! :t :t :t

BigLoop22

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BigLoop22. At first the one I looked at had the forearm receiver gap and I said to myself what poor fit, then when I held the rifle I realized that the fit was OK if the forearm was slid back against the receiver. The rear barrel band on my Win 94 was a nightmare to get to line up for the long screw that goes through wondering if the same with the Henry. I didn't like the front sight with the flat plastic post, would rather have a small bead. Nice wood for a $198 gun. Just the plastic bands/sight make it look cheap. For $20, I would definitely upgrade to metal. The painted receiver doesn't bother me. So it's $20 for the front sight, front band and rear band? Not bad at all. I want a .22 lever to go with my Win 94 and I like straight grip walnut. The Win 9422's are out of sight now price-wise. Marlin 39 is great, but I want the straight grip and a more handy gun. Browning BL-22, too expensive. I guess this is why the Henry is selling well, traditional .22 lever at a good price point.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
beachbreak,

You are welcome.

I must tell you that my primary reason for not tightening my fore end is that it doesn't bother me like it is. The distant secondary reason is that I have heard that tight barrel bands, and tight forestocks, can affect accuracy, by putting tension on the barrel. My accuracy is just fine. :t

Removing & installing the rear band & screw is pretty easy on a Henry.

I do not own the Henry metal sights, but have read that they look very much like the plastics ones. You provide the hood, so save your old one (if you want one).

I removed the hood that came on my Henry's front sight. I think it is out of place on that rifle. I then found it harder to acquire the front sight. I fashioned a brass bead from a brass nail that was Loc-tited inside of some airshock tubing. The assembly was epoxied to the top of my front sight. When it was dry, I ground off the excess, at the front end, with my Dremmel Moto-tool. It works great!

BigLoop22

·
Registered
50 Posts
[ I didn't like the front sight with the flat plastic post, would rather have a small bead.]
Have you seen the Hoo1T. It has the same barrel and sights as the G.B.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen it in person yet 6string. I like the upgrades though. Walmart didn't have it in their catalog yet. I hope they get it and sell it at a decent price (under $300). Anything over that, with tax and possible shipping and FFL fees takes it out of my price point at this time.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The metal front sight and band are identical to the plastic ones except that the metal has a white dot on it. If you get the metal band for the forearm do not over tighten. It will not give like the plastic one. Since my wife acquired my H001, I've pot a red dot scope on it that she likes. It's a fun rifle to shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.