Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

H D Military take down

730 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ray in seattle
I will soon acquire a model H D Military and would appreciate step by step instructions for take down for cleaning. Thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7,290 Posts
DD698 said:
I will soon acquire a model H D Military and would appreciate step by step instructions for take down for cleaning. Thanks
DD,

Takedown does not require tools (unless you lose the retracting rod and spring):
1. Remove the magazine.
2. Capture the rod and spring by retracting the slide as far as it will go. Next, press in the small knurled button on the top of the slide and hold it down while slowly pushing the slide forward to the closed position. This has captured the rod and spring. This must remain captured to disassemble.
3. Remove the slide from the frame by pressing the take down lever (on the right side of the frame, to the rear of the grip below the slide) and removing the slide to the rear.
This should allow you access to anything that needs cleaning.
If the retracting rod and spring are released from capture, you will need to take a small screwdriver or something similar and push it back forward in the slide and capture it by pushing the button back in and release the rod back against the flat spring you are pushing down with the button.
To reassemble:
1. Depress the hammer enough to allow the slide to go back on the frame.
2. Close the slide, then retract the slide again to release the retracting rod and spring. You will feel the spring release and try to close the slide.
You are reassembled :) !

· Registered
2,248 Posts
I can only get you started on the right foot.Remove the magazine,pull the slide fully back and hold it,press the button atop the slide and hold it down.Confirm that the slide no longer has spring pressure on it before procceeding,this is important.Move the slide back and forth to be sure the recoil spring is captured.Close the slide and rotate the takedown lever down while depressing the hammer fully,pull the slide off and release the hammer by holding it firmly while pulling the trigger.Snapping the gun with the slide removed will likely break the hammer.Operating the takedown lever without the recoil spring secured will cause something bad to happen.One other thing to mention is the rear sight adjustment.The lock screw for the rear sight is above the firing pin as viewed from the rear,the firing pin lock screw viewed from the bottom of the slide,also locks the rear sight lock screw.Both must be loosened to adjust the rear sight.I can't think of anything else that is likely to trip you up,pretty straightforward otherwise.When you replace the slide,close it and retract it,this releases the recoil spring.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
Grandparem,I think I was still typing while you were posting.You must type faster than I do,most everyone else does.I had not read your post before I sent mine,had I done so my post would have been a lot shorter.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
boley said:
Grandparem,I think I was still typing while you were posting.You must type faster than I do,most everyone else does.I had not read your post before I sent mine,had I done so my post would have been a lot shorter.
Boley,

Glad you remembered the instruction to hold the hammer and ease it off while pulling the trigger so it won't break. I guess some things become automatic and slip by when I try to explain it..... Thanks!
BTW, I probably just started a little sooner than you.... I doubt that I type faster than very many people :D !!

gr'pa

· Registered
7,290 Posts
SGVictor said:
You can find some data on my web site at

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/hampistols/

Instruction card #221 is for the USA MODEL HD and the unstructions are the same as for the HD- Military

Note card #1121 covers the rear sight adjustment and card #1127 provides a warning about the half cock notch not being a safety.

The HD Military had a parts list/insturction sheet too large for my scanner and so no documents for that model are presently posted but when I find a service bureau with reasonable prices those documents will be posted as well.

Jom Spacek's website has a copy of the Brownell's copu os part of one of these H-D Military instruction sheets at

http://www.tm-techmark.com/jspacek/HSinstructions/HammerModels.jpg
I have the original instruction sheet but it is oil soaked and a little hard to read. I know it wouldn't scan very good. If I were still working, I would take it to work and clean it up like we did electrical schematics. Soak them good in electrical contact cleaner, then hang them up to drip dry. I could do it at home but enough cleaner to do the job gets expensive. :D

· Registered
7,290 Posts
I was just looking at the instruction sheet for the HD Mil. to see if there is any thing to identify which copy this might be. Only thing I came up with is in the lower right hand corner box #10, of the "Instructions" side it has:

The High Standard Mfg. Corp.
61 Foot St., New Haven, Conn.

and then in smaller print in the corner: A.A.A.

There are 10 "boxes" of instructions on one side and the "Component Parts" breakdown on the other side. As I indicated earlier, it is oil soaked (more like a waxey texture) and the "Instructions" side is a little harder to read than the parts breakdown side.
The box is black with a red label on top and two yellow labels on one end. It's not the original box for my gun as a friend gave it to me before I bought the pistol..... thought if I had the box, I ought to get a gun for it.... you've probably "been there and done that" :D !! Only difference is, the box says plastic grips and mine has checkered walnut.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys it is always nice to get a response to my questions.I have made copys of all posts andwill sort through them. The Spacek website instructions start out great but then compress to some small non legible hen scratches just at the point where the take down instructions start. The other web site doesnt have H D Military data on it. Thanks Again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.