Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on a 22 mag from you guys. I currently own a Taurus 72 pump, 22 mag, that I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with while standing inside it! I have tested just about every 22 bullet out there in it, let all my friends and family shoot it, and all the results are the same, the bullet goes where ever it wants. After two years of trying, I am throwing in the towell and moving on to another rifle. The question is which rifle should I get? Right now I have it narrowed to 3, the 925M, 982S, and the 983S. I want iron sights and a place to put a scope. The clip vs. tube argument does not bother me, I'm just wanting an accurate 22 Mag to carry around squirrel hunting in the TN mountains. If possible I am wanting to pick up a rifle that needes little or no work to make shoot. Thakns in advance for your help.
Aaron

· Registered
538 Posts
I have a model 25 22 mag. The accucary of the 22 mag is not good. Do not get a 22 mag. Get a 22 LR or a 17 HMR. The Marlin model 7000 in 22 LR is amazing. I can shoot sub 1/2 groups at 50 yards with it. My 22 mag is useless at ranges beyond 25 yards. Do not waste your time and money with the 22 mag.

· Registered
621 Posts
Hey wait a minute, a 22 mag can be accurate, but you will have to dink with it more to make it shoot, you may get erratic performance etc. but to be fair, all rimfires can be picky, getting back to rifle suggestions, I would say if you want bolt action I would get the Marlin 980V, and the trigger is easy to work on, or get a marlin 7000. I really like mine. I have a 7000 and a 25MN (mag), If i Had a 25M (long rifle but same gun) that was just as accurate as my 7000, I would still choose the 7000, I like the way it balances and shoots, but the trigger is harder to work on, but can also be improved. Any marlin to me is a good choice. Good Luck

· Registered
225 Posts
"I'm just wanting an accurate 22 Mag to carry around squirrel hunting in the TN mountains. If possible I am wanting to pick up a rifle that needes little or no work to make shoot."

IMO, the .22 magnum is one heckuva lot more cartridge than you need to hunt squirrels. You might consider one of Marlin's .22 LR counterparts to the models you listed above. .22 LR HP's will take care of any squirrel you can hit "right", without blowing them apart at closer ranges.Ammo is a *lot* cheaper too.

As noted above, the little Marlin 7000 has built an excellent track record for itself as an excellent performer right out of the box. Just add a scope, sight it in, find the .22 LR HP it likes best, & then, squirrels watch out! :D It would be a nice, short handy rifle for woods hunting too. Marlin 7000 is less than $200 at WallyWorld.

But, if you really want a magnum, any of the Marlin choices you listed should do OK. Savage also has some economical rifles. Magnum or LR, it's a good idea to spend a little range time with different types of ammo to see which one your rifle shoots best.

· Registered
413 Posts
Pick the Marlin 980,get a rb trigger. Send Taurus back to factory(have a life time warranty for service) Problem is no doubt in the bbl-chanber dimensions. The 62s are not very accurate either,but they are a lot of fun to shoot,AND they feed very good. The magnum is too much for squirrels, red or gray(maybe you're thinking turkey haha) JMO Paul W

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys thanks for the responses. I already have two 22 LR squirrel guns, Henry Lever and a Remington Apache 77 (the 77 is winning right now, girlfriend has claimed the Henry). I have a 917 and use it, but I'm just wanting a more accurate 22 Mag to round out the hunting rifles. I've found a new spot to squirrel hunt and was talking with my cousin about it and he told me about bobcats, hogs, and bears running through there every now and then, and that's what prompted the 22 Mag post. Still thinking about that 982S though... Thanks again.
Aaron

· Registered
1,551 Posts
There is not a dang thing wrong with the 22 mag's accuracy. JohnB9, you must have gotten a bad one. My 922M will shoot at least 3/4 inch at 50 all day. No, it's not quite as accurate as my 917, but it ain't no slouch. 1.5 inches at 100 is pretty good to me for a sporter. Lots of other people have gotten good accuracy with a 22 mag too. I would suggest the 982, nice rifle for the money.

Chunckchucker

· Registered
235 Posts
Interesting replys. I hunt squirrels with a Marlin mag bolt action. 882SS I think. The rifle shoots extremely well, depending on ammo. With cheaper hp loads it'll do about 2" at 100. With Remington 33gr V-Max it'll put 5 under a quarter at 100. I use the V-Max - but I restrict myself to head shots (but I do that with .22 lr also). The rifle carries a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope, and I did the trigger. I also freefloated the barrel.

As good as it is, I don't think I'd take on a hog or a bear with any rimfire. But .44s are nice too.
:D

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brad, Ah so that's what a Cooper looks like. :) Nice looking rifle. n3480h, no I wouldn't take on a bear or hog with a 22 Mag, 30-30 and 30-06 for that :D, but just incase, know what I mean? :) Thanks again for all the replies. I still haven't made up my mind just yet, going to talk to my gun guy tomorrow and see what we can cook up. Thanks.
Aaron

· Registered
538 Posts
A short story. Last time at the range, guy next to me has what I see is a heavy barrel bolt action Marlin in 17HMR. He tells me this is his 1st time shooting a rifle, and he wanted the 17HMR, he thought it was "cool." Anyway, this was his 1st time shooting ANY rifle. At target change time, I saw his 100 yard groups, all placed inside a 1 inch square! In experianced hands, I bet this rifle would shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. A 22 mag, not gonna do that. Yes I am sure people own accurate 22 mags, but the 17HMR is much more "user friendly", as proved by the novice shooter with sub MOA groups.

· Registered
442 Posts
22 Mag accuracy

I read a good article on the internet that said average accuracy at 100 yds with .22 mag was around 1.5 inches. Not bad considering that your target is usually a bigger animal than for .22 long rifle. My 882 will do half inch at 50 yards all day with Winchester ammo off the bench, don't know about 100, my technique is lacking at further range. Article also said altho .17 cartridges have higher velocity, actual effect on game bigger than ground squirrels was lacking, .22 mag had much better killing qualities. 30 years ago I loaned my 9422 to a guy in Colo who lived up in the hills and he head-shot deer for food all winter...said they dropped like a rock. Not advising this....but as a survival cartridge, .22 mag might be a good choice, light, small, pretty good punch.

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
WAIT, i believe cdnn still has 22mag Biathlon Basics, believe me these are good guns, everyone likes them, although more 22lr than 22mag, but i havnt heart any complaints. you dont need to do anything but put a scope on and find the ammo it does best with, my 22lr seems to shoot most ammo pretty well, but cci blazers are the best, and 10 bucks a brick (500) i wont bother with anything else. 13 shots in .37 inches at 25 yards.

somone recently posted (in the romanian trainer/other forum) their 22mag results. looks promising.

my buddy has a older westernfield 22 mag bolt (i think thats mossy made) and its a good shooter. 100 yards 3 shots hit about all touching.

if it was me, id get the biathlon basic, might not see them imported again :( also they have a very quick toggle bolt action

· Registered
43 Posts
I have a revelation 22mag from 1960 that is a mossberg 640 with a vintage revelation small tube 4x scope and it is a two inch gun at 1oo yards with my old tired eyes and the cloudy scope, it doesnot group as well as my cz452 in 17hmr but it aint dressed as well either, wild hogs and bears will take excellant shot placement with a 22 mag, feral hogs are much harder to kill than a tame farm raised one in the pen, i would carry the 917, and a good sidearm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.