Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a gun show today and saw an as new, in box 1974 mfg. 10/22 Carbine. Pre warning, Walnut stock, metal butt plate with original 10 shot magazine with the slot in the head of the mag bolt instead of the hex head. Comes in original box with all original paperwork, original warranty card with scope base and four base screws. Instruction book is dated 1974 and the serial number is 113-XXXXX (a true 1974). I looked at the gun and can't tell if it was ever fired or not. Dealer picked it up with other guns from a friends estate and he said he didn't think his friend ever fired it or if he did he only fired one full 10 round mag. Not a mark on the metal butt plate or walnut stock or anywhere else. I'm going back tomorrow and would like to know ahead of time what a fair price would be to offer for this gun. Thanks - J.Solo

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Price Check Needed in Aisle 4

J.Solo,

A 'new in the box' [NIB] 10/22 Standard Carbine with a walnut (uncheckered) stock has a "Blue Book" value of $175. The metal [alum] butt plate, and the slotted screw magazine are correct for the year.

Good Luck.....! ! :)

PS: Got any snow....? ? ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
the only extra value from an older Pre-Ban is if you are willing to pay more. I personally would pay more for it....The collectors value (which I dont feel there is one with this rifle) is onyl possibly meaningful if you plan on leqaving it in its condition and never firing it. I wouldn't pay more then $175, actually, I would probably only give about $150 for it....but that is me...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks

WOW! Thanks for the info. Guess you have to be very careful or Big Brother will put you away. I guess all the new in the package folding stocks floating around on the auction sites are useless.

Chris

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Untamed,
I guess all the new in the package folding stocks floating around on the auction sites are useless.
They are "jail bait" for the uninformed.....! ! :eek:

The 'sellers' will even tell you it is legal to put them on a "pre-ban" rifle...... :(
[ * ONLY if the rifle HAD a folder Before the Ban.....! ! ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but a "pre-warning" Ruger model would be 1963 or earlier. 1964 was the year that they started imprinting the warning label on the barrel which advised the user to read the owners manual before use. This was the spark of the "Pre-Warning Ruger".

Please let me know if I am wrong though.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
"Pre-Warning" Rugers

J-rod007,

The WARNING started appearing on various Ruger firearms in 1977; the exact time varied with the inventory of barrels for that particular model; for the 10/22, it was between 117-00027 and 117-57890. Therefore, the "Liberty" [1776 - 1976] guns do not have the WARNING. It is also interesting to note that some of the 'high grade' rifles and shotguns do not carry the WARNING.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I've got both a "Liberty" SBH and "Liberty" M77 neither of which has a warning.
Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Big Mike. I am always eager to learn a thing or two. Am I thinking of something else with the "Pre-64" saying? I have a Ruger M77 in 6mm caliber that does not have a "warning label" on the barrel. This was sold to me, and I always thought of it as, a Pre-64/Pre-warning gun. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
J-rod007 said:
Am I thinking of something else with the "Pre-64" saying?
Pre-64 refers to Winchester Rifles and Shotguns made prior to 1964, when they changed their manufacturing process. Pre-64 Winchesters are known for better quality and craftsmanship, although I myself cannot see anything wrong with most of the newer Winchesters *shrug*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.