Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you think guns depreciate? Lets take a common gun, say a glock 22 or a ruger 10/22 for example. In the case of the 10/22, I will use Buds current price of $200 and call that the current fair market value for a new plane jane 10/22 between $200 and $225. So If I bought this said 10/22 and turned around and tried to sell it as a used gun, what do you think one could reasonably ask?
Maybe it's just my unreal expectations but I would say a common, used gun, in good condition is about 85% of new price. I know there is going to be lots of "well blah blah blah" so lets keep the example to common firearms configured similarly.
What do y'all think?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good question, and I'm certain you will get some interesting answers.

I have always figured that if I bought a production gun new, threw out the box, put a brick or a couple flats through it, but took really good care of it along the way, the haircut would be 25-30%. There might be some qualifications to all of that, but having watched smallbore rifles and medium to high grade shotguns, I'm sticking by my story.

A friend is heavily involved in custom centerfires and maintains that it is a patronage of the arts, that he would be lucky to get 75% out of a rifle that has never been shot. Ouch!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Climate controlled

Depends entirely on political climate and new rifle inflation. Rifles rarely wear out, and even then are usually easily rebuilt in some way. So used value oscillates based on outside forces more than actual product worth.

From 2004 to 2008 I never payed more than 150 otd for a new 1022, this year was excited to get a used one for 150. For about 8 years everything seemed to appreciate. Out the door prices rose steadily in the same time period, case in point my savage model 12 in 2007 was 449$ out the door not on sale at sportsmans warehouse it was sitting at double that last time I looked. Steady rapid inflation males relative used prices stay high.

On one hand a used m&p at 80% is likely 375 on the local classifieds, but right now new are 225 with rebate so it may be a while till it sells.

On the other hand my lgs had a 17wsm ruger on the shelf for years at 779, ruger discontinued it and it sold then next week. Gun guy said he did an ffl transfer last week some guy payed 1250 for one on gunbroker. Did the value of the components go up.... no but perception changed.

Had a pile of boat paddle take offs, made good money when the 24hr goofballs decided they were worth mcmillan prices.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends entirely on political climate and new rifle inflation. Rifles rarely wear out, and even then are usually easily rebuilt in some way. So used value oscillates based on outside forces more than actual product worth.

From 2004 to 2008 I never payed more than 150 otd for a new 1022, this year was excited to get a used one for 150. For about 8 years everything seemed to appreciate. Out the door prices rose steadily in the same time period, case in point my savage model 12 in 2007 was 449$ out the door not on sale at sportsmans warehouse it was sitting at double that last time I looked. Steady rapid inflation males relative used prices stay high.

On one hand a used m&p at 80% is likely 375 on the local classifieds, but right now new are 225 with rebate so it may be a while till it sells.

On the other hand my lgs had a 17wsm ruger on the shelf for years at 779, ruger discontinued it and it sold then next week. Gun guy said he did an ffl transfer last week some guy payed 1250 for one on gunbroker. Did the value of the components go up.... no but perception changed.

Had a pile of boat paddle take offs, made good money when the 24hr goofballs decided they were worth mcmillan prices.
comfisherman,

You make a good point point I didn't fully consider. But, what price someone paid 8 years ago shouldn't effect todays used price should it? According to the federal governments CPI inflation calculator, $150 in 2004 has the same buying power as $197 today, pretty darn close to our "fair market price". Mico economics 101 obviously tells us there are lots of other factors that will effect prices...

They way I look at it your right on par, if you find a used 10/22 for $150, that's a fair deal in book. But obviously age/condition would go from there. Guns have such an interesting/unique secondary market. Sometimes I can make heads r tails of it. I started this because I was browsing armslist and gunjoker today and the prices some people ask amazed me. I sure hope people are not paying what I was seeing asked for used, common guns.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Rough guide for me is that an average gun loses $50 the minute you sign the papers. In two years the MSRP will go up that much or more, so if you kept the gun NIB, you might break even. Used you're still short $50. In two more years you'll make $50 on the NIB and break even on the used. In ten years, the right gun will double.

There are variables. A popular discontinued gun will do better. An unpopular gun may never be worth more than you paid. A gun that has seen factory improvements since yours will be iffy. The Ruger Mark III is an example. Since the Mark IV came out, and most people like it better, Mark III prices have dropped. The Mark IV could have some future issue that will change that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rough guide for me is that an average gun loses $50 the minute you sign the papers. In two years the MSRP will go up that much or more, so if you kept the gun NIB, you might break even. Used you're still short $50. In two more years you'll make $50 on the NIB and break even on the used. In ten years, the right gun will double.

There are variables. A popular discontinued gun will do better. An unpopular gun may never be worth more than you paid. A gun that has seen factory improvements since yours will be iffy. The Ruger Mark III is an example. Since the Mark IV came out, and most people like it better, Mark III prices have dropped. The Mark IV could have some future issue that will change that.
Yeah, that's a lot of variables. That's why I was trying to stick to an example of a model that has pretty much not changed since day one, I would even venture and say has gotten, and I loosely say, "worse" as time/cost cutting has set in.

The used gun market is so strange to me.... Some times I scratch my head at these things, don't know why just make me go hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rem Nylon 66

Sold new for $50 in 1959, that equals $420 in 2017 dollars. And that is about the ballpark for BNIB 58 year old models.

Not that this means a whole lot, just giving an example.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I haven't bought a new gun in about a dozen years because of the instant loss $.I keep an eye out for high condition old classics.They go up in value rather than down

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I haven't bought a new gun in about a dozen years because of the instant loss $.I keep an eye out for high condition old classics.They go up in value rather than down
I do the same but my local stomping grounds has had nothing worth buying for 3-4 years. My LGS normally offers about 70% of new price if the gun looks like new. This percentage refers to still current production rifles.

·
Gypsy Hermit
23,813 Posts
They go up in value rather than down
:yeahthat:

Anybody priced a pre-64 Winchester lately?

I know there is going to be lots of "well blah blah blah" so lets keep the example to common firearms configured similarly.
I've always found The Blue Book of Gun Values to be a reliable guide. Trick is to honestly evaluate the condition.

So If I bought this said 10/22 and turned around and tried to sell it as a used gun, what do you think one could reasonably ask?
I think you'd be doing exceptionally good to get $150 for it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Okay, reality check.

The OP was talking about a $200 10/22, so use that as a base line. One of the responders said the MSRP on a (unspecified) gun would go up $50 in two years. Ain't going to happen, so forget that. So the $200 10/22 is still sitting on the table and the owner wants to get rid of it for whatever reason - it doesn't shoot, wants to convert it to cash for a new scope, you choose, but it's got to go. Somebody else is trolling for a used 10/22 and is determined he will not pay full retail. But the prospective buyer is not as impressed with the gun as the original owner, so the value goes down. On the other side of the table, the original owner is equally determined not to get skinned. It's a perfect storm, and everyone has to meet in the middle to make the spark. I still say 25-30%.

It was suggested that overall economics frame the price, and while that my be true, there is the consideration of inflation. If the economy is humming, prices go up. While it may appear that the price of the gun goes up, like a $200 used gun now goes for $225, you have to remember that the $225 resale amount has similarly been affected by inflation and is not worth near what $225 was when the gun was purchased new.

Several posters have said that good used guns are the safer bet. Amen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some food for thought. If you want to sell your car, you go KBB and get a idea of its value. How come the blue book of gun values isn't online like that. If everyone had easy access to that information I think that might cut down on the crazy prices I see people asking for used stuff, and hopefully keep someone from getting ripped off. If someone knows of a free source gun values please share! I don't do enough horse trading to justify $40 for the book. I just go to my local library and look it up, they usually have the latest edition. There needs to be an AP for that, haha.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Most used consumer goods sell cheaper than a new one. It's 10,000 years of bartering instinct in all of us. Same reason a new car worth $20,000 is "going to lose $5,000 the moment you drive it off the lot." Even though 500 miles on the odometer is nothing when most cars will run 200,000 mi. easily. People feel that they should get a discount because the window sticker was peeled off and it sat in a home garage.

People want "new" to mean "from the store." If someone ELSE got it "from the store", and is reselling it, the price should go down in most minds. How many flea market sellers have said "well, they go for xxx on Ebay!" or "they cost this much new!" The answer coming back from the buyer will be "but this isn't new anymore."

This is for common items. Cult items like a newly released, desirable thing can go for more than "in the store" at times. Because people are desperate, don't like near "the store", or they're sold out, etc..... Good example is the new Colt Cobra revolver, the first double action from Colt in decades. The MSRP is $699, but you can't find them. A couple have just sold for over $1000 on gun broker.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
Deprecaton and other costs

How much do you think guns depreciate? Lets take a common gun, say a glock 22 or a ruger 10/22 for example. In the case of the 10/22, I will use Buds current price of $200 and call that the current fair market value for a new plane jane 10/22 between $200 and $225. So If I bought this said 10/22 and turned around and tried to sell it as a used gun, what do you think one could reasonably ask?
Maybe it's just my unreal expectations but I would say a common, used gun, in good condition is about 85% of new price. I know there is going to be lots of "well blah blah blah" so lets keep the example to common firearms configured similarly.
What do y'all think?
Assuming it is wooden stocked and used but well cared for 10/22, I would lean towards $150 instead of $185 as a reasonable place to start but that may not be achievable regardless of what the blue book or me or anybody else might say.

Around here you can get a 10/22 at Walmart, not including taxes for $199.95 and at Bass for $229.95 without being on sale and Bass at least has a decent return policy if there is a mechanical problem. Don't know about Walley World though.

Catch a sale and those can drop to $184.99 and $199.99 respectively and you can see and handle them and don't have to wait for em.

Local prices, like in "The Bargain Finder" or "The Bulletin Board" where you can list for free, for 10/22's with a scope go for under $200 in most cases and again you get to see and handle them before you buy em and is some cases get to shoot em first also.

Debatable if you can use inflation on a 10/22 to "re-evaluate" what it is worth. Not like there ain't a zillion of em around and in that case how much they are worth is not a math exercise. Even if the rifle is say 40 years old and in great shape, unless it has some extra ordinary value the "math" approach does not mean much to potential buyers. Again, too many around.

noremf(George)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I look at the MSRP for a new one plus 6% sales tax. Then I look at the condition of the gun, and if I don't have an 'unnatural attraction' for the gun maybe I'll offer between 50 and 75 percent of the MSRP. Rarity and demand drive up the price. Demand can be driven by advertisement, a movie, or actual feedback from owners. How many 44 mag revolvers were bought after the Dirty Harry movie?

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
Real life example

Today I was trolling the Cabellas gun library to see what used guns had showed up.
The Hammond store does a brisk trade and theta put out the used guns after they have cleared them with the police to make sure the aren't stolen.While I was ogling a shiny pre lock Taurus 65 for $400!I asked the clerk about the Stainless PPK the had last week for $500 and he said it sold. So there was this guy waiting to sell his guns and he said PPK and I said yes,PPK he said he wanted 500 and I said good luck these guys give you 2/3rds of the value on gun values at 80% or less .So I waited he sold his Benelli but walked out with the PPK.we went to the parking lot I asked what they offered he said 300 I lloked at it,unfixed NIB 2013 S&W stainless P
PPK 2 mags all the paper lock etc and I said they think they can sell it for $450 will you take $400 he said yes and I have a new StainlessPPK that originally listed for $599.99 and sold for more it was2013.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, I haven't bought a new gun since the late 70s, I've never had a gin depreciate more than I paid and 85-90% have at least doubled.

I was talking to a buddy about all the guns we wished we wouldn't have sold and how much they've appreciated. I'm not a stock market guy, I like tangible stuff, so I always invested in guns. It would seem that now is a good time to sell just in case the Demoncraps win in Nov and recind the 2nd amend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a new 10 22 takedown at Christmas time. Store was running a Special and I paid $300 for the rifle which included a Magpul stock worth $109 and it came with 4 ten round magazine.

What will it be worth later? Honestly that's for my family to think about after I am gone. I am older that the first 1022 ever made and what is my value now? Lol lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.