Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone guage the rim thickness on their rimfire "Match" ammo? I used to think there was no use in guaging top end ammo, but lately I'm beginning to change my mind. What's the best guage and who sells it? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.
Thanks,
Kent

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Haven't done any of this myself.

The reason is it comes up every now and again over at
www.benchrest.com , and I haven't seen those guys steer
anybody wrong. They always say it isn't worth doing. A few
will always offer to sell a rimfire gauge real cheap.

I think if it makes the slightest difference these are the guys
that would know. And they seem to think it a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Kent - I'm sure I've seen several different rim thickness gauges but the one I remember is from Bald Eagle. They also make a dandy fully adjustable rifle rest. Not sure of their location (somewhere in Pennsylvania I think) but you can probably do a search on Google or such. I have a set of the Stoney Point Comparator inserts and I use the 24 caliber insert mounted on my dial caliper. Probably not as good as a dial indicator but I can separate 22 cartridges by .001" increments. I've found that it doesn't make much difference with some ammo, but with better quality (Green Tag, Wolf, etc.) I can tighten groups a little by using cartridges with same rim thickness for a particular shot string. Also, with better quality ammo, I get similar size groups from different rim thickness, i.e., one string .032", another .034". whereas the group(s) average somewhat larger if I mix the thicknesses within a string. I don't usually bother at all unless I'm really trying to find the absolute best rifle/ammo combo. Regards,

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody-eslude
Thanks. The guys I was shooting with yesterday were shooting Wolf MT out of mostly Anschutz's that they had weighed, sorted, and rim guaged and they were doing very well. They said the weighing and guaging the Wolf MT seemed to get rid of some of the flyers and the shooting they were doing proved it. Championshooters has a rim thickness guage for 44.00. I wondered if there were others available. I still don't think it makes much difference on the high end top of the line ammo. I tried weighing Tenex years ago and there wasn't enough difference to sort it. Again, thanks for the info.
Kent

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I think the main reason they were doing well was most likely
those Anschutz's. Don't know what you are shooting, but
those Anschutz rifles usually shoot, and then some.

In any case your are welcome.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Rim thickness does make a big difference in groops . Infact , I've found that different rim thicknesses of a brand of ammunition that a rifle likes will makes a difference ... I will agree, with the top end of any line of ammunition rim thicknesses seem to be very constant ... I use an old Merritt rim guage which hasn't been mfg'd for years ... Very simple and most adaquate ...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Kent,
If you could find a digital commercial unit that didn't cost a fortune, that'd be my recommendation. I've a friend who uses a fired .22 hornet case, I suppose you could figure a way to fix such a case to one jaw on a pair of slide calipers, drop in a loaded .22lr round and measure the rim. I've done the same thing with a steel tube fixed to my own digital calipers.
When sorted I usually end up with rounds in 8 different groups according to thickness, and 12-14 different groups by weight.
I rarely sort due to the lack of free time, and the fact I don't shoot well enough to fully appreciate the advantages of "perfect" ammo. My guess is you'll get 25-30% improvement in group size, especially by matching the rim thickness to your rifles preference.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have never thought wieght has the dramatic effect on accuracy that rim thickness does ... But sorting ammo by rim thickness can certainly improve accuracy noticably with inexpensive ammunition ... That's what I shoot most of the time ...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
elsdude--
You must be psychic--hehehe, they were mostly Anschutz's, 13 of 'em and a 52D, and a Turbo. I wasn't giving up anything in the accuracy dept. group wise but my ammo cost a lot more than what they were using. Some of 'em were shooting Eley EPS Tenex. It was fast company, thats for sure. I was shooting a Kimber sporter--HS barreled action, in a AA Claro Classic stock. It was a lot of fun and I met some very nice people. I'll go back a do it again--shucks, I can hardly wait!!:D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I hear you loud and clear ! I applaud you for not fearing shooters bearing Anschutz rifles ? j/k ofcourse ... Everything being equal, when it's all said and done, the nut squeezing the trigger has the most to do with it !

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Rim Thickness Gages

Kent,
I have two of them, one made by Neil Jones, and the other by Bald Eagle.
The one by Neil Jones costs about $44, and Bill Gebhardt's (Bald Eagle) costs somewhere around $70 to $80. The Bald Eagle one uses a dial indicator and captures the complete rim, whereas the Jones one uses a sliding tapered bar to go over the rim and could miss a high spot. I also like the Bald Eagle one because I can operate it faster.
Both advertise in Precision Shooting Magazine, and Bald Eagle advertises in Rifle, Handloader, and Shooting Times as I remember.
Neil Jones is somewhere near Erie, Pa. His address used to be Sagertown, but he may have moved. Bald Eagle is in Lock Haven, Pa., on Allison Street.
I recommend one as I feel they take one more variable out of the equation; one less flyer.
I just shot my sporter today and got some fairly good groups just weighing. Tomorrow I'll do the rims before the match at the Soo this Sunday in Michigan's Northern Peninsula.
Take care,
Don Buckbee

·
Registered
325 Posts
Neil Jones

As the gentleman in the previous post, I have one of the Rimfire Accuracy Gauges from Neil Jones.

I have found that if I sort the cheaper ammo, I do seem to get more consistency in my grouping which seems to give me a bit better accuracy.

With higher quality ammo, I noticed no difference.

Anyway......maybe worth a look for you. I also ordered the .22 Magnum adapter from Neil for it but haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet to see if I can get an improvement there.

Joe

http://www.neiljones.com/html/rimfire_gauge.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.