Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Group sizes with & w/o a tuner

553 6
Hopefully, I'll be buying a Hoehn tuner for my 10/22 next week. I've read about all kinds of tuners here and on Benchrest Central, and I was just curious about individual experience with them. I know that group sizes will shrink, but has anyone every done group size comparisons on their rifle with and without a tuner? If anyone has(regardless of rifle type) and would like to post their results, I'd be interested.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Tuners work best on longer, free-floated barrels, not short, fat ones that have pressure pads. If you want the rifle to look cool, that's fine, but don't expect it to make a big difference in accuracy if your barrel is an 18" bull. For one thing, the mass of the tuner is insufficient to make a big difference in such a short effective barrel length.

I use a tuner on my Win 52C benchrest rifle and it works well, now that the barrel is free-floated. Barrel length is 26" and it's around .910" at the muzzle. Before free-floating, it didn't work well (Tuners work best when barrel vibrations have a lower frequency of vibration, which occur in longer barrels),

The Win. 52 (bolt) action is very sturdy and it has two stock screws to be able to hold the barrel beyond the couple of inches of bedding material beyond the receiver. The 10-22 aluminum receiver is too flexible to allow a heavy, bull barrel to be free-floated successfully. A pressure pad in the forend is the usual accurizing bedding method and it works well to dampen barrel vibrations.

To put a tuner on a carbon-fiber barrel would take away from the reason to get a light barrel, and unless relatively long and free-floated, may not help much with accuracy.

These are my opinions based on use, discussion with a tuner maker and research, take 'em or leave 'em.

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picher:

My configuration will be as follows: MOA steel receiver with rear lug and a Clark 21.5" barrel. The barrel will be free-floated with no pressure pads. Based on this, do you think I will have fair luck with the tuner, or is the barrel still too short?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think John is right in his analysis of tuner functioning. My experience is that with straight taper barrels of less than 22 inches and an OD of greater than .920, a tuner won't do you as much good as with longer and lighter barrels. But I can just about guarentee you that it won't hurt either, so give it a try.

As far as how much a tuner will help, well, a little, friend, a little. Find the ammo that will shoot the best with the tuner off, and then work with the tuner with that ammo. Good luck.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input

I appreciate the info. Even if I could cut group sizes by a small percentage, I would be satisfied. I lost my mind and decided to build the most accurate 10/22 derived rifle possible, and every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A-Rob:

The rear lug and steel receiver make it possible to have a free-floating barrel that will work. However, the action is still more flexible than a round bolt-action receiver.

Try it and see if it works your way.

If it doesn't, try a small pressure pad an inch or so long, just ahead of the barrel block. That will isolate the barrel vibrations from the action and could help the tuner by limiting the vibration direction somewhat. Don't forget to use a wedge to create upforce while the (bedding material) pressure pad sets up.

I don't recommend solid shims for pressure pads because they can't adequately conform to the shape of barrel and stock.

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
171 Posts
Give Ron a call next Monday or Tuesday. When I was visiting him at the shop weekend before last, he was cleaning out the Excursion and trailer, getting ready to go to the Super Shoot in Ohio. I think he said he would be back Monday or Tuesday.

I've been toying with the idea of having him fit a tuner on my new Anschutz 64 MPR and will see what he thinks about it the next time I see him.

That reminds me, I need to phone the gunsmith right darned now and tell him to drill and tap the muzzle for the front sight base farther back.....so I'se got room for a tuner if I want one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.