Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had a 10/22 mag for a month now. I have noticed that when I am shooting cci and super x hollows my groups are nearly a half inch smaller at 100 yds. compared to what they are at 50 yds. I am not complaining believe me. I am just wondering if this is normal. I had been contemplating a .17 barrel but I think I will just leave it alone. I do believe this bad boy can do everything I need of it out to 130 yds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yep, I agree with Ski on that one. Also, you'll find that you are holding tighter BECAUSE it's at 100 yards and you realize that you have to do everything "righter" to get a tight group. And believe in that 130 yard goal. I've headshot more that one squirrel at that distance, and further. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Parallax...? ?

Repete,
I gotta think that your "optics" might have something to do with that. [ski]
What scope do you have mounted...? ? Does it have an AO...? ?

If it is an inexpensive "DeerGetter" from a 'Mart', you might have a parallax problem at 50 yards, as they are focused for 100 to 150 yards. This could effect your aiming by +/- 1/2" or more at 50 yards...! ! :eek:

PS: ski, this is my first semi-annual visit for 2003 to the Magnum Forum...! ! :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Even while some bullets may stabilize better at further distances, stabilization has to do with rotation of the bullet on its axis or yaw. actually wobling slightly. for a bullet to do what Repete is describing, it would have to be turning back in on itself. if you shoot a group at 50 yards, that group will disperse the farther out you go its just physics. for it do do anyting else would defy those laws. of course theres always weather and numerous other variables to contend with.

I'll go with Sinbad and Ski, optics and concentration

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Whitetail = "DeerGetter" >> Parallax

Repete,

All of the "Simmons" 'Whitetail' scopes are non-AO models, and, as they are intended for centerfire rifles used in deer hunting (Whitetail), they are focused at the factory to be parallax free between 100 and 150 yards, the normal ranges encountered in deer hunting. At normal rimfire ranges, parallax will be a problem. This is why your groups at 50 yards [parallax of +/- 1/2" minimum] are larger than your groups at 100 yards where the parallax is much less, and possibly zero.

What Is Parallax ?

I think your scope is the cause of the 'strange' grouping you are seeing....! ! :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
DAMMIT!

BigMike!

You did this last time, too!

You were supposed to "call ahead" and warn us!

At least, we could have had the chance to pick up the beer cans.

BWAHAHAHA!

btw,

Happy to see ya.........

I have problems with those big words like......Parallax.

:D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Surprise Visit....

ski,

Sorry..... :eek:

I thought the storms of last weekend would have blown all the beer cans away.....! ! :D

Hope all is well with you..! ! :)

Some of the TV footage of Oklahoma looks worse than Bagdad...! ! :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.