Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
In all guns I have tried it in I can see little improvement over CCI STD VEL.Mind you I have had great results with CCI STD but the green tag is all of twice the price. For the price I have always found an Wolf,PMC,Eley or FEDERAL ammo that shot as well with beter value.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't know about hand picked being the green tag, but I haven't noticed much difference in my model 41's between Std Vel and Green tag as far as groups So I usually use the CCI Standard Velocity for matches. They both shoot to the same point of aim.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
comments

My experience is that it varies from lot to lot ? The chronograph indicates that the velocity varies as does the accuracy ...

From e-mails to CCI, they were going to try to correct the inconsistancy ... Some thought was it might have to do with the crimp ?

CCI is well aware that there is not made in the U.S. any "World Class" target ammunition and they're in hopes to improve their product ...

·
Registered
938 Posts
On a whim I bought a brick as a few were saying it wasn't all that bad of an ammo. I have to disagree with another poster here as my brick might have been hand picked but they got their right hand confused with their left hand and I ended up with the floor sweepings. Out of 7 rimfires, 3 of which are match barrels the green stuff belongs underfoot where it came from :D

Now I wouldn't take my word for it, get yourself a box and shoot it... some barrels might like it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, i should have asked first, before I plunked the cash down.

What the heck, I'll try it out of my better shooters and let you know how it goes.

For what's its worth, I've got a CZ that loves Minimags and cci standard velocity--both cheaper than GT. :(

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I have never shot the stuff but have been reading reports of it both in the gun press and right here for years now. The stuff does NOT seem to be worth anywhere NEAR its price. Only in the last week or so did I read of someone who said the stuff shot the best of anything in his gun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We noticed with the Green Label while testing and breaking in two newly set up Ultimates that both shot the Green Label low by about 2" compared to Wolf Match, Winchester T22, Golden Eagle Match and Federal Match. Unsure why though...I mean besides the obvious that they must be lighter powder loads...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Green Tags Work for Me

It's funny how guns and ammo differ.

I've had a lot of luck with Green Tags, and can depend on the benchmark 0.5 inch group at 50 yards with Green Tags in several rifles, including a Rem 541-THB, a Rem 541-S, a Rem 581 and a Ruger 10-22 modified with a medium weight Varminter barrel. I've got about a thousand rounds in the closet right now.

I use the Paco / EABCO tools to modify the noses for better impact on squirrels. Those round noses slip through squirrels pretty easy without something to add a little friction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got a box of it to try in several rifles, I got at least equal and usually better accuracy from other, less-expensive stuff.

You never can tell, firearms can be picky about what they like, and some people swear by it in some particular guns.

I've Had excellent results from the inexpensive Federal Lightning/now sold as Champion/ ammo, yet other people hate the stuff.

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
It's not too awful expensive considering that the price is for a hundred rounds instead of 50, BUT I always found CCI Standard Velocity to shoot indentically for half the price. Green Tag/Standard Velocity/Pistol Match all shot very well in the CZ 452 American .22 that I had from 1999 to 2002. You never know about what a particular ammo will do in a certain rifle until you actually shoot some of it and see. NEVER buy ammo by the brick until you tryu it first, it's far too easy to wind up with plinking ammo at match ammo pricing!

·
Registered
130 Posts
In my Boyd's 10/22 Christmas special, 10 rounds went into one 25 cal size hole at 25 yards. Other ammo did good, but this was by far the best shooting stuff in this gun.

Now my other 22s don't like this stuff even half as much.

Joe

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.